Getting a Job

Isnt it really unfair that employers turn people away because they have HFA or Asperger syndrome?? 

I believe there isnt a lot of support from the UK government when it comes to tackling job employment for the disabled. Would i be right in saying that??

Who on here actually has a part-time or full-time job?

Parents
  • In relation to what I outlined above, I do know it is going wrong at all these levels. The problem may be that it is not being challenged. Discrimination against people with physical disabilities is readily challenged and lots of cases come up. If there are not enough legal challenges where people on the autistic spectrum are concerned, employers will feel safer refusing such people jobs compared to other disability groups.

Hence documentation is vital. If parents groups built up a record of details of what the grown up children of members are experiencing on the job market that would help enormously, and could help collate legal precedents.

However I've encountered a lot of negativity in discussions on here, for example that people on the spectrum cannot work in NT environments, and people who find they can work in NT environments are borderline cases, haven't really got AS etc etc.

If we propogate an image of people on the spectrum cannot engage in any kind of work, that in itself feeds stereotypes and gives some "justification" to those seeking to exclude us.

Could NAS/moderators perhaps come in on this?

• In relation to what I outlined above, I do know it is going wrong at all these levels. The problem may be that it is not being challenged. Discrimination against people with physical disabilities is readily challenged and lots of cases come up. If there are not enough legal challenges where people on the autistic spectrum are concerned, employers will feel safer refusing such people jobs compared to other disability groups.

Hence documentation is vital. If parents groups built up a record of details of what the grown up children of members are experiencing on the job market that would help enormously, and could help collate legal precedents.

However I've encountered a lot of negativity in discussions on here, for example that people on the spectrum cannot work in NT environments, and people who find they can work in NT environments are borderline cases, haven't really got AS etc etc.

If we propogate an image of people on the spectrum cannot engage in any kind of work, that in itself feeds stereotypes and gives some "justification" to those seeking to exclude us.

Could NAS/moderators perhaps come in on this?

Children
No Data