Anger and violence in teen with asd

Hi, just wondering if anyone got practical advise for me. My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with ASD last week, though I'm very relieved that there is finally an explanation to his behaviour, we still have to deal with very foul langiage, screaming, throwing stuff, shoving etc. Quite disturbing for an adult, but even more so for my 9 year old son (he doesn't have ASD). I'm trying to think of a new way of dealing with his outburts (over very trivial things), but it just seems that I'm letting him get away with this outrages behaviour. He is refusing to talk about ASD, so no starting point. Any ideas,anybody? Has anybody got practical advise how to curb the outbursts without confrontations, but still imppose the boundaries? Undecided

Parents
  • Just had another quick thought....does your son like drawing?  Cartoons, Comic strips?  Sometimes they will express themselves through a journal or comic strip more comfortably than talking, especially when very anxious, stressed and frustrated.  Match stick men is fine and sometimes is good therapy to draw out what is upsetting them.  THere is a decent book on this called "Comic Strip Conversations" but you can adapt it to suit what works for you.

Another thought to measure how your son is feeling is finding a way to "label" his emotions.  So for some kids, possibly younger you may have Anger on a scale of 1 - 5 and you can judge/support when they need quiet and calm.  Book on that is "THe Incredible 5 point scale".  I have heard of older kids using a sort of thermometer gadget to show the adults around them discreetly how they are feeling, avoiding melt downs and the humiliation that some kids feel infront of their peers.

Just some ideas, but you will know what will work for your individual situation.

Best wishes

• Just had another quick thought....does your son like drawing?  Cartoons, Comic strips?  Sometimes they will express themselves through a journal or comic strip more comfortably than talking, especially when very anxious, stressed and frustrated.  Match stick men is fine and sometimes is good therapy to draw out what is upsetting them.  THere is a decent book on this called "Comic Strip Conversations" but you can adapt it to suit what works for you.

Another thought to measure how your son is feeling is finding a way to "label" his emotions.  So for some kids, possibly younger you may have Anger on a scale of 1 - 5 and you can judge/support when they need quiet and calm.  Book on that is "THe Incredible 5 point scale".  I have heard of older kids using a sort of thermometer gadget to show the adults around them discreetly how they are feeling, avoiding melt downs and the humiliation that some kids feel infront of their peers.

Just some ideas, but you will know what will work for your individual situation.

Best wishes

Children
No Data