Anger and violence in teen with asd

Hi, just wondering if anyone got practical advise for me. My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with ASD last week, though I'm very relieved that there is finally an explanation to his behaviour, we still have to deal with very foul langiage, screaming, throwing stuff, shoving etc. Quite disturbing for an adult, but even more so for my 9 year old son (he doesn't have ASD). I'm trying to think of a new way of dealing with his outburts (over very trivial things), but it just seems that I'm letting him get away with this outrages behaviour. He is refusing to talk about ASD, so no starting point. Any ideas,anybody? Has anybody got practical advise how to curb the outbursts without confrontations, but still imppose the boundaries? Undecided

Parents
  • I also wanted to raise a concern with the moderators. While being confrontational and railing at NAS is not appropriate to a discussion forum, and I understand NAS feels it necessary to move such discussion to the "contact us" option, or the relevant department, could NAS look into more constructive ways of addressing this.

Despite the Autism Act, Leading Rewarding & Fulfilling Lives and the new guidelines for health workers, the circumstances for adults on the spectrum aren't improving much.

There are a lot of people out there genuinely finding the system isn't working to help them. A lot of provision for autism is still parent group led (about children only). No wonder many health professionals still seem to think it is "something you grow out of".

Even if it is not all down to NAS, could NAS possibly show some understanding of the difficulties. It may not help pointing someone in frustrated distress in the direction of the contact pages, and may be making things worse.

• I also wanted to raise a concern with the moderators. While being confrontational and railing at NAS is not appropriate to a discussion forum, and I understand NAS feels it necessary to move such discussion to the "contact us" option, or the relevant department, could NAS look into more constructive ways of addressing this.

Despite the Autism Act, Leading Rewarding & Fulfilling Lives and the new guidelines for health workers, the circumstances for adults on the spectrum aren't improving much.

There are a lot of people out there genuinely finding the system isn't working to help them. A lot of provision for autism is still parent group led (about children only). No wonder many health professionals still seem to think it is "something you grow out of".

Even if it is not all down to NAS, could NAS possibly show some understanding of the difficulties. It may not help pointing someone in frustrated distress in the direction of the contact pages, and may be making things worse.

Children
No Data