Anger and violence in teen with asd

Hi, just wondering if anyone got practical advise for me. My 13 year old son has been diagnosed with ASD last week, though I'm very relieved that there is finally an explanation to his behaviour, we still have to deal with very foul langiage, screaming, throwing stuff, shoving etc. Quite disturbing for an adult, but even more so for my 9 year old son (he doesn't have ASD). I'm trying to think of a new way of dealing with his outburts (over very trivial things), but it just seems that I'm letting him get away with this outrages behaviour. He is refusing to talk about ASD, so no starting point. Any ideas,anybody? Has anybody got practical advise how to curb the outbursts without confrontations, but still imppose the boundaries? Undecided

Parents
  • My daughter has had combativeness...it began when she started having seizures within the past year.  She is a teen.  Even though she is mostly nonverbal, as another result of the medical shift, she listens.  I talk to her and tell her about the implications of her behavior, after I learned I can set limits with her by simply stating she can't be combative.  I gave her a chance to cool down since I noticed that she would only increase combativeness if anyone tried to ask her anything or tell her reasons why not to do it, while she was in that state.  I just keep repeating the same routine.  It will become a habit for her, over time.  While focusing on happy things, while she is calm, telling her I can relate to teen issues for girls, and bring up some of her interests...I also tell her she can get into trouble for being combative.  This is helping.  She does have a seizure medication, recommended by the Epilepsy Foundation, as one of the top four medications for reducing seizures in a teen with Autism, as well.  An added benefit, is with the same medication, it has a mood enhancer included, to address aggression.  It's a little tweaking here and there, as always, sometimes behaviors happen even when you have logged every trigger you can think of.  That's life.  People can't be happy 100% of the time, but you can reduce the amount of times.  I know it's hard work.  It's easier to cope with, when the parent and the child relate to each other, as much as possible.

• My daughter has had combativeness...it began when she started having seizures within the past year.  She is a teen.  Even though she is mostly nonverbal, as another result of the medical shift, she listens.  I talk to her and tell her about the implications of her behavior, after I learned I can set limits with her by simply stating she can't be combative.  I gave her a chance to cool down since I noticed that she would only increase combativeness if anyone tried to ask her anything or tell her reasons why not to do it, while she was in that state.  I just keep repeating the same routine.  It will become a habit for her, over time.  While focusing on happy things, while she is calm, telling her I can relate to teen issues for girls, and bring up some of her interests...I also tell her she can get into trouble for being combative.  This is helping.  She does have a seizure medication, recommended by the Epilepsy Foundation, as one of the top four medications for reducing seizures in a teen with Autism, as well.  An added benefit, is with the same medication, it has a mood enhancer included, to address aggression.  It's a little tweaking here and there, as always, sometimes behaviors happen even when you have logged every trigger you can think of.  That's life.  People can't be happy 100% of the time, but you can reduce the amount of times.  I know it's hard work.  It's easier to cope with, when the parent and the child relate to each other, as much as possible.

Children
No Data