ABA - Applied Bahavioural Analysis

Hi, I've recently found a therapist that has dealt with autism and aspergers. I have noticed on his website that he uses ABA. I read online that ABA is harmful in that it teaches autistic people how to mask more effectively and as we know, masking is highly stressful. Has anybody here had ABA and what has it been like for them? I'm worried about an appointment I've made with this therapist tomorrow and can't back out as it will cost me the full fee anyway. Really need info. What can I expect from receiving ABA and what is the potential emotional cost? 

• I innocently sent my younger daughter a FB post from a local establishment about their Graduate Trainee Programme, as she's about to start a Psychology with Counselling degree.  Somehow it was posted on my profile as well.

10 mins later, my elder daughter said that I'd posted something positive about ABA and her partner thought I was wrong to do so.

I immediately found and deleted the post as it turns out that they train people up in ABA.  From what I've read, and heard, it's not a good thing and I wouldn't have wanted it myself!

• Absolutely not something you want. Nope. 

Don't go back after the appointment you can't get refunded, don't fund the charlatan by participating in his 'therapy' even if he doesn't go the full ABA route on you. >> 

ABA isn't only harmful because it forces (not 'teaches') effective masking, but because it just boils down to punishing children who are doing what is natural and comfortable to them "until they behave like normal people"- it has no benefit to the autistic person, just the people around them who don't like them being different. 

Run fast, run far. 

• I can attest that operant conditioning drastically reduced my public autistic behaviours. I had an excellent team of ABA therapists - school bullies! Wink

• I don't generally hear of adults having it. ABA's got such a bad rep outside the US they call it PRT instead for kids. It's been described as 'dog training'.

• Have any adults had this and what tasks had you to do as part of the therapy?