Driving and PIP

Hi folks,

*This is my first post, please be gentle! :-)

I have recently applied for PIP, but my application has been rejected and I am now off to tribunal.

One of the main reasons the DWP have rejected my application is because I drive. Amongst other issues, I really struggle with multi-tasking, e.g. cooking and doing university work at the same time. The DWP are essentially arguing that because I can drive a car, and this requires multi-tasking such as having to brake, change gear, be aware of other road users etc. all at the same time, the difficulties I face in other areas of my life cannot possibly be as bad as I have described.

Just wondering if anyone else has come up against similar lines of argument from the DWP before, or what the best way of countering this argument might be?

Many thanks,

Joe

Parents
  • I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've been to uni, now work as a teacher and I drive. I was awarded PIP enhanced rate. 

I backed up nearly every point I made with independent evidence inc a letter from a manager at my previous work, A2W reports, highlighted copies of my GP notes etc. I believe this is what lead to my successful award.

• Thank you for the reply. I’ve provided medical history but didn’t think to highlight, hoping tribunal will be more understanding. 

Reply Children
  • Glad I could help! I write my statements like I would a university essay e.g

As the highlighted sentences in the OH referral dated xxx explain, I find the social demands of being in a group, as well as the sensory overload caused by the lighting and noise, to be distressing. This leads me being unable to take nutrition without support as I purge in the toilets throughout the day to cope with the stress. These situations also result in me experiencing regularly meltdowns, which included suicidal thoughts. As a reasonable adjustment at work I have now been given my own office to provide me with significant alone time during the working day. This is stated in the report dated xx