Driving and PIP

Hi folks,

*This is my first post, please be gentle! :-)

I have recently applied for PIP, but my application has been rejected and I am now off to tribunal.

One of the main reasons the DWP have rejected my application is because I drive. Amongst other issues, I really struggle with multi-tasking, e.g. cooking and doing university work at the same time. The DWP are essentially arguing that because I can drive a car, and this requires multi-tasking such as having to brake, change gear, be aware of other road users etc. all at the same time, the difficulties I face in other areas of my life cannot possibly be as bad as I have described.

Just wondering if anyone else has come up against similar lines of argument from the DWP before, or what the best way of countering this argument might be?

Many thanks,

Joe

Parents
  • Hi Joe

I was refused PIP because I had been to University. They ignored the fact that I completed my degree with a lot of support. I'm not entirely sure why they pick up on something like that and assume you must be fine, but it feels like they might need to understand ASD a bit better! I haven't tried applying again so I'm not sure how to get around it. Do you have any one to support or advocate for you?

• Hi Joe

I was refused PIP because I had been to University. They ignored the fact that I completed my degree with a lot of support. I'm not entirely sure why they pick up on something like that and assume you must be fine, but it feels like they might need to understand ASD a bit better! I haven't tried applying again so I'm not sure how to get around it. Do you have any one to support or advocate for you?

Children
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

I’ve just finished university as well and they’ve also made comments about that; luckily my support mentor and personal tutor have supported me and written really good statements of support. Can’t believe the lack of understanding with it all!

I don’t have a representative yet as I’ve been doing it all myself with support from my partner. Have you been through the tribunal process yourself? Did an advocate help you?

Best wishes,

Joe