Gender Dysphoria and Aspergers

I am still without a formal diagnosis, though I have an informal "pre-assessment".

I've had Gender Dysphoria thoughts for over 20 years. They sort of come and go in waves, except they're not so much dysphoric about my current gender, as they are a wanting to become the opposite gender.

I need to work out where these feelings come from. With the fact that I do indeed appear to have a pre-assessment informal diagnosis of Aspergers, I need to work out whether this fascination with gender identity is just a special interest/obsession, or whether it is genuine.

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of gender therapists are in the best position to work that one out.

U

• Gender Dysphoriaand Autism Spectrum Disorder:Is the Link Real?

sci-hub.tw/.../j.jaac.2017.08.017

• You do know intersex people exists don't you, to form roughly 1.6% of the population to be about as common as red headed people?

Well by the very nature of a person being between sexes means the binary can't apply for that  enforced perhaps conditioned binary to in fact be a bifurcation fallacy given intersex. 

And something else that might interest, Baron-Cohen investigated the most common form of intersex, the xxy  (1:650) of which is more common with the male phenotype for work on his x-linked theory of autism. Where it just so happens the majority of xxy's I have known where we're talking hundreds here also have a prior diagnosis of high functioning autism.

In fact it was through reading Baron-Cohen's theories on autism post ASC diagnosis that I discovered an intersex condition I later came to be  diagnosed with, for I am one of those xxy's

• Never heard the phrase before - but on googling it, I understand it - why?

• Have you heard of the bifurcation fallacy?

• Cool - I know a lot of people who live alternative lifestyles where they realised 'the norm' was not for them but they don't really identify with the usual prescribed definitions - and there's a lot of pressure to be one thing or another - sort of not being accepted as bi in a gay or straight world.

• I am finding  the  transgender half way measure  that is Non Binary is a very good space for exploring different states for stripped of gender and all that entails, one can just feel.

• Is this because ASD people tend to have an open mind and are willing to explore what feels right or are more able to feel what is wrong? 

• When I was going through the diagnostic process for GD I was asked did I think I had autism, for myself to reply, yes I have a prior diagnosis, to later be diagnosed with having GD.

Eighteen months into treatment for GD I no longer have the consuming thoughts I did, to now be looking at ways to return to work - of which is no mean feat as the hindrance is self confidence.

• Good questions.

What do I mean by no dysphoria? I look in the mirror and I see a man. I don't really see a woman. I possibly see the potential for a woman with my delicate features, but my body doesn't look anything like a woman. By body language, the way I sit, the way I stand, the way I express myself, is, well, masculine. I break wind, I drink, I eat like a pig, I do masculine stuff.

So where's this stuff about wanting to transition come from? I gather from gender quizzes, Im 50/50. Part of me feels better within as I express my female side. Another part of me knows I don't really fit in with the men. I yearn for friendships with women. But as a man, I don't fit in with them either. 

So I don't know whether an MtF has to relearn behaviours, or whether this is just a special interest.

That's good advice about finding an Autism group in the LGBTQ community. Hard enough though where I am finding a Transgender group, never mind an Autism Transgender group. That might be difficult.

• Although I do have a friend that is currently transitioning from female to male, my knowledge on this subject is quite limited, so I apologise in advance for any dumb questions or comments.

If you don't have dysphoria regarding your current gender, does that mean you still identify with it but think the opposite one would be better somehow? I suppose what I am trying to say is, are you happy with your current gender but feel like you don't really fit in with others of that gender & think that the opposite one might be more accepting of you as a person?

Identity problems in general, including gender dysphoria are more common for people on the Spectrum. Have you tried contacting any of the Autism groups in the LGBTQ community? They should be very accepting & might be your best initial source of advice. I just did a quick Google search on "Autism LGBTQ" in the past year & found quite a few potential links such as the one below.

slate.com/.../why-are-a-disproportionate-number-of-autistic-youth-transgender.html

Take care & I hope this is helpful