Autism Screening Appointment

I got a referal from my GP 6 months ago to a Autism Spectrum Condition Diagnostic Service that provides autism assessment and diagnosis for adults who do not have a learning disability.

As my first appointment is going to be a screening appointment I was wondering if anyone else has had a screening appointment prior to having a full assesment done at a later date? and also what it involves,  how long will it last?

Parents
  • Yes I did, when I was referred to the Adult Autistic Diagnostic clinic in Leicester through the 'CMHT' and that was when the psychiatrist said that it was highly likely I had autism.  The next stage if you pass this assessment is the full assessment, so collate all the evidence you can and don't mask the traits you have.  My Mum, a seventy three year old woman had to write a forty page report to prove that I had 'autism' and I also had to go through the assessment.  

• I appreciate you going into detail about your experience as it helps me anticipate what will happen.

I have done an online AQ test and scored 48 out of 50. I don't know how different the questions will be but I agree about being as honest as possible because it's about finding out the root cause of ones struggles in life.

I have sat down for three hours one night typing out a two page letter of my problems and giving examples so that when or if I do have an assesment at any particular date in the future, that I have come prepared as I don't want to forget any of my many life experiences.

Also I have dug out old primary school reports, high school reports and work experience report to bring as evidence of struggles from previous teachers point of views.

My only worry is my mum is in her 60's with very ill health and any potential request to need her to come along. I wonder if I get to this point maybe they could do a telephone interview?

I could always ask my dad who is in his 60's but I wouldn't really want to ask him as my parents divorced aged 11 I don't feel he knew me aswell as my mum and because I hardly saw him growing up. I really don't think he'd be fit for questioning?

My wife is one person that really wants to come as she is the one that experiences the end of my outbursts, my obsessions, my selfishness (without knowing) me being in my own world when doing something I enjoy and not being able to multi task at all. She experiences my frustration of being in over-crowded places or things like other road users not indicating or speeding sending me off into having an outburst. She witnesses things every day of my life putting a massive strain on our relationship. 

It will definitely be an interesting appointment but also one I will be very anxious and nervous about as I won't know what to expect. Having said that after reading others experiences of their screening/diagnosis helps me try and anticipate what may lie ahead.

• I was diagnosed via the NHS last year. I was asked to bring someone along who knew me from childhood but that was not possible as I'm 52, an only child and both my parents have died. I explained this to them and they were happy for me to bring my wife along even though we've only known each other 17 years. She was present throughout the whole process (3x 1 hour interviews) she was not interviewed separately, the whole thing was just carried out by the psychiatrist in one room. From reading other peoples experiences it seems mine is quite unusual. Hope that helps!

(cut and pasted from a reply I made to another recent thread on the same topic)

• I was diagnosed via the NHS last year. I was asked to bring someone along who knew me from childhood but that was not possible as I'm 52, an only child and both my parents have died. I explained this to them and they were happy for me to bring my wife along even though we've only known each other 17 years. She was present throughout the whole process (3x 1 hour interviews) she was not interviewed separately, the whole thing was just carried out by the psychiatrist in one room. From reading other peoples experiences it seems mine is quite unusual. Hope that helps!

(cut and pasted from a reply I made to another recent thread on the same topic)

Children
No Data