Rename Aspergers “Wingers Syndrome”

If Aspergers should be renamed why not call it:

”Wingers Syndrome”

After Lorna Winger?

Parents
  • I thought the whole point of getting rid of the term Asperger Syndrome was so that Autism Spectrum Condition embraces all manifestations of difficulties and not choosing parts of it to be names after the people who first noticed it. Just changing it from One persons name to another would be pointless

• I thought the whole point of getting rid of the term Asperger Syndrome was so that Autism Spectrum Condition embraces all manifestations of difficulties and not choosing parts of it to be names after the people who first noticed it. Just changing it from One persons name to another would be pointless

Children
  • Yes, I agree.  My formal diagnosis is ASC, and I'm perfectly happy with that.  Each of the traits associated with autism  is a little spectrum all of its own. Rather than trying to create ambiguous categories by singling out specific traits, which can leave people in a "grey area" between diagnoses, I think it's far more important to identify what specific support a person needs, regardless of what formal names are chosen.

Even to say that Asperger's Syndrome is defined by lack of language delay is deceptive. Being able to produce grammatical sentences and having a good vocabulary are not sufficient to be a good communicator; that requires an understanding of the pragmatic components of communication - social context, theory of mind and emotional intelligence, which each "aspie" would have in their own multitude of combinations.

If someone asks; "so is ASC like Asperger's Syndrome?", then I'm not offended, and I'm happy enough to tell them why my diagnosis isn't given that name, but I identify myself (if I even need to at all) as an autistic person rather than as an "aspie". If people care to listen to a more detailed explanation, it will be clear enough that I'm not trying to usurp the labels applied to autistic people who may have greater struggles than my own.