Bringing someone along

Hi all

I am hoping to get a date soon for my assessment, but i understand that ill be asked to bring someone along who has known me for a long time. I plan to bring my older sister.  My question is though, would she be with me all the time im being assessed?  I would rather that not happen, i dont mind her being asked questions separately, but id much rather be interviewed on my own, just wondered what the standard is?

Thanks! 

Parents
  • I've not got to my first appointment yet so I don't know if I'll have to bring anyone although my wife really wants to come with me. My mum is in her 60's and lives over 40 miles away with ill health so I wouldn' want to stress her to much. I have dug out all my old school reports from primary school and high school and work placements so I'm hoping all these will help at my appointment. I often wonder if it would help a diagnosis by asking my employer what I'm like in work as they know what I'm like probably more than anyone in the real world? 

Is there anyone who you should/shouldn't bring along to an assesment?

• I've not got to my first appointment yet so I don't know if I'll have to bring anyone although my wife really wants to come with me. My mum is in her 60's and lives over 40 miles away with ill health so I wouldn' want to stress her to much. I have dug out all my old school reports from primary school and high school and work placements so I'm hoping all these will help at my appointment. I often wonder if it would help a diagnosis by asking my employer what I'm like in work as they know what I'm like probably more than anyone in the real world? 

Is there anyone who you should/shouldn't bring along to an assesment?

Children
  • To back up what JMcGregor has said when I was assessed one of their criteria was evidence of autism in childhood. I was 50 though when I was assessed and my mum was 85 so both of us struggled to remember enough evidence. In the end they were happy I met their other eight criteria so they finessed / ignored the lack of sufficient evidence of autism in childhood - absence of evidence is not the same thing as evidence of absence.

• from the little ive seen in some documentation, its usually an older sibling or parent as they knew you in childhood - or a lifelong friend (i dont have any of those like many).  I think the assesment can still happen without someone else, they just tend to prefer it.  My parents are hundreds of miles away and arent really interested in these kinds of issues so id never bring my own parents along