Bringing someone along

Hi all

I am hoping to get a date soon for my assessment, but i understand that ill be asked to bring someone along who has known me for a long time. I plan to bring my older sister.  My question is though, would she be with me all the time im being assessed?  I would rather that not happen, i dont mind her being asked questions separately, but id much rather be interviewed on my own, just wondered what the standard is?

Thanks! 

Parents
  • My mum came with me. She was there for all of the assessment but I told one of the assessors before the start that there was one issue I did not want them to disclose and in the end there were a couple of other questions I declined to answer so I ended up going along later by myself for a follow-up meeting although I think they had already agreed that I was autistic by that point.

• thanks for that.  thats a bit concerning for me, ill contact them i think before hand and ask if its possible for me to be assessed alone.  not surprisingly autism (if thats what i have) has made it so that i really dont get myself involved with anyone, including family, so im not close enough to my sister to be comfortable laying bare my entire life

thanks again

• thanks for that.  thats a bit concerning for me, ill contact them i think before hand and ask if its possible for me to be assessed alone.  not surprisingly autism (if thats what i have) has made it so that i really dont get myself involved with anyone, including family, so im not close enough to my sister to be comfortable laying bare my entire life

thanks again

Children
  • I think different assessors do things different ways - there isn't a standard way of assessing someone

• from reading a few others posts, it seems that the person brought along does get interviewed on their own, as well as with the main person - i just want to cut out the part where they are in the room with me while im being questioned lol

• I know what you mean - I would have preferred to have been diagnosed first by myself and only told my family I was autistic once I was diagnosed but I eventually plucked u[ the courage to ask my sister. Her reaction when I told her was yes, I probably was autistic and she thought our dad had definitely been autistic. It was my sister who then persuaded me to involve my mum.

Good luck with your assessment. I suspect the assessors will still prefer someone to go with you but they should be used to the person being assessed being uncomfortable discussing some things so don't discuss them if you are ot comfortable discussing them.