Zero Points for PIP and same again after mandatory reconsideration worth going to tribunal?

Hi All

I have always known there was something different/not normal about me, when I was a child I thought I was just naughty but as I grew older I tried looking for answers.  Doctors took me at face value and dismissed my problems.

Finally at 33 I decided to have a private assessment and was diagnosed in April with High Functioning Autism aka Aspergers.

I started the PIP process in Jan this year citing reasons of depression, anxiety and autism, going into detail for each category I experienced issues.

At the atos assessment it appears I came across too "normal" and was scored zero points in all areas and they criticised my lack of diagnosis.  This was especially frustrating when I told them at the assessment my diagnosis was scheduled within the week and once I had the diagnosis I called them to wait until I had the report to make their decision.  They ignored this request and sent out their decision before I got the report.

I then went through the mandatory reconsideration outlining why I thought they had misunderstood me and the very unsuited physiotherapist (I don't claim to have any physical difficulties) judged me just like a book by the cover.  This included my full diagnostic report, notes from my councillor that saw me within 4 days of the atos assessment along with medical records and further explanation from me.

So I was shocked when the reconsideration came back with zero points again saying how the report doesn't matter as it was after my atos assessment and during that time I came across with no issues along with saying I can drive a manual car which means doing multiple things at once and so I should have no issues.  This has left me feeling really low and made me question the fairness and honesty of this system and I don't know if I have the energy to take this to tribunal even though I have nothing to lose.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Parents
  • Thank you so much to everyone that replied.

Following your comments and after talking to CAB, The National Autistic Society and Autism Anglia I am feeling a lot more positive about the tribunal.

I have now completed the SSCS form and will send this off tomorrow and have a meeting with CAB on Thursday and hopefully a meeting soon with Autism Anglia.

Thank you again

• You will be looking at an extremely long wait for a tribunal though keep that in mind. 

Reply Children
No Data