3 days to go. What will happen.

Hi all. I have my formal diagnostic assessment on Tuesday 5th June. I’m really nervous. I have spent the last year coming to terms with Autism being the reason I am who I am , and I am quite content and at peace with that. But I still need it confirmed by a professional to be totally at peace. But what if I’m not autistic? What if its OCD or ADD? That would totally throw me! My longsuffering husband is coming with me. Can anyone tell me what they will be looking for, or what kind of things they will ask. Its a 3 hour appointment with a diagnosis at the end.

thanks

Parents
  • Who is driving to the appointment? Might be better if your husband drives you. 

They will ask you questions based on a combination of the info they have on you from what's been said in earlier sessions, plus stereotypical things that people on the spectrum struggle with. They will probably want as much information about your childhood as possible, since that was how you behaved before you learned to mask. 

The above are just starting points, and they will then ask more detailed questions to get to the bottom of what difficulties you have. 

I would advise being open with them about your nervousness. They will probably be very motivated to reassure you and make you feel comfortable. 

It is a good idea to take along some notes in simple bullet-point form, itemising the current state of your life, relationships, and what you feel you struggle with, or other info that may be relevant. One side of handwritten a4 should be more than enough. 

• Who is driving to the appointment? Might be better if your husband drives you. 

They will ask you questions based on a combination of the info they have on you from what's been said in earlier sessions, plus stereotypical things that people on the spectrum struggle with. They will probably want as much information about your childhood as possible, since that was how you behaved before you learned to mask. 

The above are just starting points, and they will then ask more detailed questions to get to the bottom of what difficulties you have. 

I would advise being open with them about your nervousness. They will probably be very motivated to reassure you and make you feel comfortable. 

It is a good idea to take along some notes in simple bullet-point form, itemising the current state of your life, relationships, and what you feel you struggle with, or other info that may be relevant. One side of handwritten a4 should be more than enough. 

Children