I need to leave work

i started a new job a few months ago and I’m not going to manage. My mental health is worsening and I didn’t disclose my aspergers when I started so I’m not going to disclose it now as it would feel deceitful. They’ve pulled a fast one with my shift pattern so I cop most of the respite admissions - this, on top of my usual responsibilities is too much - they’ve put an extra staff on to help me, but I couldn’t even find her. 

If I go sick, can I hand my notice in and cease employment then continue on ssp until I decide what I need to do? I’ve worked all my life (30 years) without signing off sick so it’s not something I would do lightly. I’ve made a mistake and I want to put it behind me. 

I can’t sleep properly, I have nightmares when I do sleep, I’m shaking and sweating at work, meds aren’t helping and I’m having thoughts of self harm. I wish I could break something then I wouldn’t have to go in. 

Parents
  • Hi KittyTheCat,

I understand your situation.  I've been in that situation myself a couple of times.  On both occasions (one connected to bullying at work, one to my witnessing abuse at work) I ended up having a breakdown and going on long-term sick leave.  Just the prospect of going back made me sicker.  On both occasions, I stayed off work on the sick until my employers decided to terminate my employment.  If you do decide to go down the 'going sick' route, it would certainly be in your best interests not to give notice straight away - at least until you can find something more suitable.  If you stay off for long enough, your employer will need to do something.  An occupational health assessment is standard.  As Misfit says, speak to OH, anyway.  Don't just leave, because it'll create problems for you if you need to claim benefits.

People may tell you that trying to get another job whilst sick is not easy.  But many employers are understanding about such issues.  I've never had a problem getting work again, even after very long periods of sick leave (3 years once).  Also, I always think it's necessary to disclose your diagnosis to a future employer.  Any job may seem fine on the surface, and presenting no immediate problems.  But if something then happens down along the line, you don't have a leg to stand on.  You can't then say 'Sorry... I have autism.  I'm sorry I didn't tell you before.'  That could lead to instant dismissal for failure to disclose.

• Hi KittyTheCat,

I understand your situation.  I've been in that situation myself a couple of times.  On both occasions (one connected to bullying at work, one to my witnessing abuse at work) I ended up having a breakdown and going on long-term sick leave.  Just the prospect of going back made me sicker.  On both occasions, I stayed off work on the sick until my employers decided to terminate my employment.  If you do decide to go down the 'going sick' route, it would certainly be in your best interests not to give notice straight away - at least until you can find something more suitable.  If you stay off for long enough, your employer will need to do something.  An occupational health assessment is standard.  As Misfit says, speak to OH, anyway.  Don't just leave, because it'll create problems for you if you need to claim benefits.

People may tell you that trying to get another job whilst sick is not easy.  But many employers are understanding about such issues.  I've never had a problem getting work again, even after very long periods of sick leave (3 years once).  Also, I always think it's necessary to disclose your diagnosis to a future employer.  Any job may seem fine on the surface, and presenting no immediate problems.  But if something then happens down along the line, you don't have a leg to stand on.  You can't then say 'Sorry... I have autism.  I'm sorry I didn't tell you before.'  That could lead to instant dismissal for failure to disclose.

Children
No Data