SUPPORT FOR AUTISTIC PEOPLE

Hi, I saw the 'Mental Health Facilitator' yesterday and she said that most therapies are geared towards those with a 'mental health' issue due to the funding crisis

and austerity cuts, therefore those who are struggling with a new diagnosis of 'autism' can't access it unless they harm themselves which I did or suffer from anxiety like I do

at the moment.  This is not satisfactory as we also need support in finding and keeping a job, we also have mental health issues and the lack of support and care leads

to a mental health decline.  We are people too with the right to services on offer as 'neuro-typyical' people who are in crisis.  The fact that I self harmed gave me access

to the mental health facilitator but it should not reach that point in the first place.  I was discharged with a whole lot of information from the psychiatrist and CMHT and told to

get on with it, come off anti-depressants and I sank.  Only when it reached crisis point, when I lost my job, have work related stress and anxiety was I offered support.  I felt completely alone abandoned.  Social services were useless and I could not access them, she said that they thought my strength would get me through and didn't realise how vulnerable I was, well I live

alone, am getting older, in my fifties, going through the change of life, the peri-menopause and have to cope with everything, what did they expect me to do.  Yes I am happy with the diagnosis but I need some support in adjusting and changing my lifestyle to adapt to it, She said I was still angry, I am, even the 'ESA' people put down I have a 'mental disorder', no I have

autism, a completely different concept.  At least I am back on 'anti-depressants' am now being supported, it's worse than being given a diagnosis of 'Coeliac disease, I was told that I had

that condition and the same thing happened, now we know what it is, get on with it, without free prescriptions etc,  It took me a year to cope with that diagnosis, so this will take some time to get used too and I will..  

• Hi there, I am sorry to hear about the struggles you are facing. I am sad that you had to go through that experience and things got so desperate. You are right, you shouldn't have go through such situations to get access or support through services. There is  a sense of no co operation, unwillingness ,naivety, lack of empathy, lack of common sense amongst other things not on your part; but by those who are 'qualified professionals'.

Which compromises things even more. Before, even getting to know you they see' labels or category' and that has to change. Not just that as you pointed out the vulnerability as well as other attributes.  There is no denying there is a difference between a learning disability and a mental health condition. There is so much more than meets the eye. For e.g. just because I don't look autistic doesn't mean I am not. Besides, how is someone with autism suppose to look like? Because I am seen as someone 'different' (with a disability or disabled)  that makes me less inferior or important...I don't think so.

As far as I am concerned I (or specifically autistic people) more should be done to ensure that there is something or someone with the appropriate tools to aid and provide useful, beneficial it not practical guidance. I acknowledge that, you are going through a difficult time. But, take each day as it comes. I know saying that doesn't make it any better or easier. But, I hope you get all the help and support you need and hopefully things will gradually improve.

You know what works for you and what does not. Take each day in your stride no matter how long things take. Thank you for sharing this on the forum it takes a lot of courage to do what you have done.

• I agree. If I'd found out I was HIV positive, I'd probably have counselling and advice and support around how to change my lifestyle, and help to think things through. You don't get that for many other conditions. You don't get any post-diagnosis support for autism in many places.

Yes, autism's distinct from mental health problems, but when you have mental health problems, you should be able to get support that is aware of autistic issues.