Growing Older and Autism

I don't know why but I feel more lonely and anxious as a woman of fifty two, than I did within my thirties and forties, when I had a fewer mental health difficulties.  However then

I was not diagnosed as autistic but thought I was like everybody else and not realising I was different, except in company.  Now I feel more alone as I grew older and am going through

the change, wondering if that has an effect on my wiring in my brain.   Has anyone else wondered what hormones and ageing has upon autism, I am sure that it does not help matters. 

Parents
  • One thing is for sure - the older you get, the more you will get to experience significant losses. My father died in 2015, my mother now has vascular dementia, for example. These could be difficult relationships in both cases, but it certainly has made me aware of how brief our lives really are. 

I have heard that everyone finds it more difficult to make new friends later on anyway. Most people just do get a lot more set in their lifestyles. Work just takes it out of me, for example.

As for menopause, it certainly does change things. I never realised until afterwards how much is driven by hormones, somehow. It does bring a certain clarity of understanding from that point of view. 

• One thing is for sure - the older you get, the more you will get to experience significant losses. My father died in 2015, my mother now has vascular dementia, for example. These could be difficult relationships in both cases, but it certainly has made me aware of how brief our lives really are. 

I have heard that everyone finds it more difficult to make new friends later on anyway. Most people just do get a lot more set in their lifestyles. Work just takes it out of me, for example.

As for menopause, it certainly does change things. I never realised until afterwards how much is driven by hormones, somehow. It does bring a certain clarity of understanding from that point of view. 

Children
No Data