“I don’t let autism stop me.” Urgh

I have seen these phrase spoken by on TV by those on the Spectrum. 

Does anyone else feel that this simplistic statement is insulting to those who are limited by their Autism? For example I would like to do things NT’s do but I know my ASD won’t let me.

Parents
  • Isn't it the same as "I don't let being a woman stop me.", in that it's about challenging stereotypes and pigeonholes imposed by society?

I choose to challenge these things and sometimes that's more difficult than at other times. I DON'T let autism stop me but I don't think I've ever claimed that it was always easy. There's nothing wrong with being proactive any more than there's anything wrong with being overwhelmed by the challenges at times.

I go through phases of both and I've found it useful to hear about both perspectives from others.  

• Isn't it the same as "I don't let being a woman stop me.", in that it's about challenging stereotypes and pigeonholes imposed by society?

I choose to challenge these things and sometimes that's more difficult than at other times. I DON'T let autism stop me but I don't think I've ever claimed that it was always easy. There's nothing wrong with being proactive any more than there's anything wrong with being overwhelmed by the challenges at times.

I go through phases of both and I've found it useful to hear about both perspectives from others.  

Children
No Data