“I don’t let autism stop me.” Urgh

I have seen these phrase spoken by on TV by those on the Spectrum. 

Does anyone else feel that this simplistic statement is insulting to those who are limited by their Autism? For example I would like to do things NT’s do but I know my ASD won’t let me.

Parents
  • The trouble is the generalisation of the statement.  I can’t or would not dare speak for a whole group of people. 

There are those who embrace it fully and are happy. There are those who see it as burden (according to my psychiatrist consultant doing my assessment) and

Everyone inbetween. 

It does make me sad knowing that I cannot have some of the things NTs have but I wouldn’t be me if I did.  Some days are easier that others.

• The trouble is the generalisation of the statement.  I can’t or would not dare speak for a whole group of people. 

There are those who embrace it fully and are happy. There are those who see it as burden (according to my psychiatrist consultant doing my assessment) and

Everyone inbetween. 

It does make me sad knowing that I cannot have some of the things NTs have but I wouldn’t be me if I did.  Some days are easier that others.

Children
No Data