Lots of issues. I need more support.

I feel that I should be living in a supported unit with staff. I don't get enough care at home. My social worker doesn't listen and hardly contacts me. I am terrified of a dental appointment that I need to go to on Thursday. Crying all the time and feeling distressed because of it. I have no food in at home at the moment. I missed my shopping day last Wednesday. I hardly have any money. What can I do?. 

Parents
  • Hi Bethy. If you are here today I'm sure you are worried about tomorrow. 

Betty tonight do anything you can to try and relax, remember that the dentist won t do anything tomorrow that you don't want them to. Self care is what you need tonight, your teddy bear or a nice drink or music under your duvet, whatever helps you. This time tomorrow it will be over with.

Song

• I have just got up and I am crying and shaking. I don't know how I am going to get through this. I feel so ashamed. Anytime I feel any twinge or pain in my mouth it makes me panic. I constantly look in the mirror at them too. My appointment is at 10.45am. 

• You've done more to prepare for the appointment than most people, and thought through stuff as much as you can.  So don't worry.  Now you just need to go through with it and see what happens - if they know the considerations, they will do what's best.  I hope the reception staff and dentist are friendly. Mine are friendly and very professional.

I'm not sure if you've done the things you said earlier. They all sound very sensible:

Thank you, Song. I am going to write down my fears to give to the dentist and ask questions. I will take a teddy bear too and some music. I might also ask if they can use a mirror instead of a probe if they have to measure my gums and ask if they can put the chair more upright and if I can wear protective glasses. I will also put my hand up to signal to stop. I'm even anxious about having the cleaning and x rays done. I think I will call the surgery before Thursday to explain these things too. I might need sedation because of my meltdowns though. The anti anxiety meds are a good idea too and asking them to tell me what they are doing is a good idea too. 

Good luck. Facing up to these things is worth it, and I bet it will be fine and a relief afterwards, even if you don't get everything done in one appointment.

• Hi Bethy

I expect like a lot of us you have a very active brain that focusses on one thing at a time, and at the moment you've got fixated on health worries. However, for both the gums and the smear test, you'll be getting good care, and there's not much you can do other than fill in time before the next appointment. So why not do something nice in the meantime that might help you feel better? What do you like to do? Is there anywhere you like to go or people you like to see that could 'switch' your brain onto a more pleasant track?

Have you had any advice or training in how to cope with panic attacks? I think consciously counting out slow breaths can help produce a sense of calm over a minute or two. Can you talk to your social worker about this? There are various things that can be done about anxiety without medication, like meditation or mindfulness, or facing up to the causes of the anxiety, so ask around for help.

I've always had a problem with 'ruminating' on the same thing, which can be part of depression or anxiety. Sometimes I find the best thing is just to get out for a walk, and in this weather, I'm looking forward to it.

Take care.

• I can't take my mind off it and can't concentrate on anything and I have been getting panic attacks. 

• I had some really worrying smear test results. I got the letter about them on Saturday. I have to go in to hospital soon. 

• I look at them every time I go past a mirror too and sometimes see things there and then I dont. Is that normal with Autism?

Well, a fixation on something for a while I suppose is normal with autism. Worrying a lot about something like gums is more like anxiety, or depression. Sounds like you're getting good dental care and the cleaning will help the gums.

does anyone know of any sheltered of accommodation I could enquire about?

Have you contacted the Richmond Fellowship?  Here's what came up when I searched for Lancaster: http://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/lancashire I looked at living there when I was much younger, but never did.

• I look at them every time I go past a mirror too and sometimes see things there and then I dont. Is that normal with Autism?

Well, a fixation on something for a while I suppose is normal with autism. Worrying a lot about something like gums is more like anxiety, or depression. Sounds like you're getting good dental care and the cleaning will help the gums.

does anyone know of any sheltered of accommodation I could enquire about?

Have you contacted the Richmond Fellowship?  Here's what came up when I searched for Lancaster: http://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/lancashire I looked at living there when I was much younger, but never did.

Children
  • Hi Bethy

I expect like a lot of us you have a very active brain that focusses on one thing at a time, and at the moment you've got fixated on health worries. However, for both the gums and the smear test, you'll be getting good care, and there's not much you can do other than fill in time before the next appointment. So why not do something nice in the meantime that might help you feel better? What do you like to do? Is there anywhere you like to go or people you like to see that could 'switch' your brain onto a more pleasant track?

Have you had any advice or training in how to cope with panic attacks? I think consciously counting out slow breaths can help produce a sense of calm over a minute or two. Can you talk to your social worker about this? There are various things that can be done about anxiety without medication, like meditation or mindfulness, or facing up to the causes of the anxiety, so ask around for help.

I've always had a problem with 'ruminating' on the same thing, which can be part of depression or anxiety. Sometimes I find the best thing is just to get out for a walk, and in this weather, I'm looking forward to it.

Take care.

• I can't take my mind off it and can't concentrate on anything and I have been getting panic attacks. 

• I had some really worrying smear test results. I got the letter about them on Saturday. I have to go in to hospital soon.