Lots of issues. I need more support.

I feel that I should be living in a supported unit with staff. I don't get enough care at home. My social worker doesn't listen and hardly contacts me. I am terrified of a dental appointment that I need to go to on Thursday. Crying all the time and feeling distressed because of it. I have no food in at home at the moment. I missed my shopping day last Wednesday. I hardly have any money. What can I do?. 

• Hi Bethy

I'm not sure how much anyone here can help, except maybe to think things through more hopefully. Did you see my last reply above, by the way? I can see why you might want not to spend too much time in the flat if it's become associated with anxiety. You're probably coping better than you think you are, but it sounds like you could do with some more help and someone good to talk to.

I think like Otis says that it's important that people around you all know how you are feeling: your social worker, your family, your GP. Why can't you stay with your family? Who do you get on best with in your family? Could you visit them for a few hours? What do you like to do in the afternoons? Longer-term, maybe people can help make your flat more homely with things you like to look at - or otherwise find some better supported accomodation.

Random suggestion - how would you feel spending time in the local library? I'm just thinking that libraries have a lot of self-help books that might help you learn ways to be calm.

You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm).
  • Please can anyone help me?. I can't stay in my flat anymore. My anxiety is so high being on my own all the time. I can't stay with family at the moment. I am even considering staying in a hotel. 

• Hi Bethy, sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things will gradually improve. If you are concerned about the care you may want to consider raising the issue with the relevant person or organisation e.g. Care Quality Commission. Speak to the manager or leader of your social worker. Please don't feel too distressed. Is there anyone you can seek help from whether a family relative, friend, neighbour etc?

• Hi Bethy

I expect like a lot of us you have a very active brain that focusses on one thing at a time, and at the moment you've got fixated on health worries. However, for both the gums and the smear test, you'll be getting good care, and there's not much you can do other than fill in time before the next appointment. So why not do something nice in the meantime that might help you feel better? What do you like to do? Is there anywhere you like to go or people you like to see that could 'switch' your brain onto a more pleasant track?

Have you had any advice or training in how to cope with panic attacks? I think consciously counting out slow breaths can help produce a sense of calm over a minute or two. Can you talk to your social worker about this? There are various things that can be done about anxiety without medication, like meditation or mindfulness, or facing up to the causes of the anxiety, so ask around for help.

I've always had a problem with 'ruminating' on the same thing, which can be part of depression or anxiety. Sometimes I find the best thing is just to get out for a walk, and in this weather, I'm looking forward to it.

Take care.

• I can't take my mind off it and can't concentrate on anything and I have been getting panic attacks. 

• I had some really worrying smear test results. I got the letter about them on Saturday. I have to go in to hospital soon. 

• I look at them every time I go past a mirror too and sometimes see things there and then I dont. Is that normal with Autism?

Well, a fixation on something for a while I suppose is normal with autism. Worrying a lot about something like gums is more like anxiety, or depression. Sounds like you're getting good dental care and the cleaning will help the gums.

does anyone know of any sheltered of accommodation I could enquire about?

Have you contacted the Richmond Fellowship?  Here's what came up when I searched for Lancaster: http://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/lancashire I looked at living there when I was much younger, but never did.

• Bethy, so I'm 51 and I have 6 teeth left. But I didn't go to the dentist much at all for a very long time so you are hopefully not going to get as bad as me

Yes you can easily see bone loss on the x-ray  so if the dentist says you don't have it then you dont. 

If the dental hygienist cleans your teeth they will get loose from the cleaning. Sometimes the dentist recommends seeing a periodontist that is the one that SOMETIMES can make your teeth a little lose. But the normal dental clean won t do that.

If you can't clean your teeth can you use a mouth wash. If you can it will at least kill anything nasty in there

• Song, would bone loss show up on the X Ray even with the plaque and tartar build up that I have?. I heard frightening stories of how people's teeth became loose after they had a cleaning at the dentists because the tartar was holding the teeth in!. And some people had gaps where the tartar had been too. This anxiety is awful. I'm anxious about having the cleaning next time I go. 

• If it's ok to ask , Song, do you have similar issues to me and do you brush often or see dentists often?. 

• Hi Song. I also have issues with brushing. It seems as though I have a phobia of it. I have a very small mouth and I don't like the feeling of a toothbrush or taste of toothpaste. Also, as my mouth is so small, I can't really use floss and Tepe brushes as there isn't enough room between my teeth ( when I did try to fit them in, it was difficult and there was a lot of blood). I haven't brushed for a long time which I feel ashamed about.. I am also not sure which is the right toothbrush to use. Some say electric is better but I worry in case it will make my gums recede even more. I've heard some frightening stories about peoples teeth and gums and about when they have seen dentists. I can't talk to anyone I know about this. I saw my dad and stepmother yesterday and I was really quiet having an overload and I couldn't tell him what was wrong. 

• Hi Bethy sorry not about the accommodation but your teeth. 

Sorry for asking but are you able to brush them, use a mouth wash, use teepee brushes or dental floss? I know some people find these things difficult, myself included. But what is your situation with these things?

• Thank you everyone. I am still suffering from constant anxiety over my teeth and gums, sometimes from the minute I wake up, then throughout most of the day and when I go to sleep. I look at them every time I go past a mirror too and sometimes see things there and then I dont. Is that normal with Autism?. I feel like it is taking over my life.

Regarding me getting more support, does anyone know of any sheltered of accommodation I could enquire about?. I would like to look in the Lancaster area as it's where my dad and stepmother live and it's a lovely place. 

• Well done Bethy,,great news and how very brave you were, not patronising you,it was very brave, to go through with it despite your worries shows real strength. I am sure the dentist would see if anything was wrong, Prepare again for the next time it will no doubt be worrying, come back and tell us, we will support you, us autistics are very kind people. 

Such good news Bethy thank you for brightening my day.

x()x

• Well done! That was a brave decision, to go through with the appointment, and you did brilliantly! I'm happy for you that the results were good news  : )  

• Well done for making it to your appointment - that's a great achievement! 

• Hi Bethy. Well done. Bone loss shows up on the X-Ray. And without bone loss or very bad gums your teeth won't be loose. Bethy are you able to clean your teeth or is that an issue for you? 

• Well done. I find teeth cleaning leaves a funny taste in the mouth (tiny particles of mineral apatite), but it's the best thing for gum disease.

I would think the X-rays would show up anything unusual about bones or teeth.  Gingivitis is very common, and the dentists have told me how to brush to avoid particles accumulating between the teeth and the gums. Somehow I just don't have a regular brushing routine (the dentists don't seem to realist this), but at least I know what to do when I remember.

I hope you can get through other things you need to do by similar preparation. For myself, I want to mend some clothes and fix my bike today. I hope your social worker can help sort out money and benefits problems, or direct you to the right help.

By the way, you can edit your posts on this forum if you make a mistake or need to make anything clearer.  Just click on 'More' underneath what you posted and choose 'Edit'.

• I'm no expert, but I'm sure any damage or looseness between teeth and bones will be picked up in the x-ray by a trained dentist.

But I'm glad you're feeling a lot better about it. I think I'll get back to my own dental practise to see if they'll have me back on their books. I think regular visits twice a year are going to be better than not going for years at a time and letting the uncertainty and anxiety build up.

• I mean she took some x rays.