Talking to the bank

I have had yet another dreadful conversation on the phone with the bank.

Is there any way I can enable them to talk to someone else without signing over my account for that person? They ring for me and I have to prove who i am! They know I have problems but they just don't get it, I can't do that stuff on the phone. I am in little bits, I want to break them into little pieces, they make me feel so worthless and they won't speak to hubby untill after I have proved i am who I am. Stupid they rang me, who else would I be?

• That's what I was thinking, same-sex partners could simply say they were you and no questions would be asked!

Usually I deal with my partners phone business, not necessarily because he doesn't like phones but because it's me who deals with our finances and he never knows enough of the details to sort these things out.  

• I can just about cope if I need to ring them, using the strategy you outlined above, but yesterday she rang me.

• That sounds awful and she should not have spoken to you in that way.

I would write a letter or email of complaint stating how rude she was. Also saying it was already difficult to talk without being harassed in such a way.

Is it me or whenever I speak to someone on the phone regardless of why they start by saying their name so quickly you do not get chance to hear it?

What I now say is I am hard of hearing and could they please talk slowly and louder so I can hear them. I then write down their name mainly because I forget such things very quickly. In fact before using the phone I go through a ritual.

First I write down everything I think they might ask in big capital letters. My full name ,address,date of birth,anything relevant like details of the thing I am asking about etc.

Then I make a cup of tea, sit myself down out in the kitchen, make several cigarettes ,put everything where I can easily see it, take a deep breath and then ring. 

Doing my ritual hopefully means I am ready for anything that might be needed. I also struggle if I need to suddenly write down details as they are speaking, I need one hand to hold the phone and writing with the other can mean the paper moving about as I try to write in it.

I was hoping others might have more useful information regarding your issue, All I can say is I too struggle the same as you, maybe my age has given me an ability to come up with a strategy that works, it is never easy but It seems to work,( mostly).

take care all. X()x

• I imagine it would be harder for same sex partnerships because the person who wanted to speak to me(Male) was relying on my voice sounding like a man, she relied on the fact my wife (female ) could not be me as her voice didn’t sound right.

so imagine trying to convince someone that the right female was indeed the correct one,,,,

hold on a moment,,,,just realised it might actually be much easier, Pretending to be the correct person would in fact be easy as the voice would sound correct, Male to Male partnership or female to female. The voice expected would convince them enough.

• Would it be easier or harder to manage the situation like this for same sex partnerships?

• She the bank woman got snotty because I repeated the questions she was asking!

She objected to hearing another noise in the background.

She said I wasn't answering fast enough

She was upset that I objected to me having to prove who i was when I was just meant to accept she was who she said she was.

• It does make me wonder how same sex partnerships get over this problem? Seriously though, it just proves how stupid it all is,

• Sounds familiar, I have no answer for you sorry.

But when renewing my car insurance by phone they refuse to let my wife do it, so my voice alone is proof? It does involve using my bank card to pay, but really, what if my voice was a higher tone and sounded female, I did suggest my wife put on a deeper voice,

All rather silly if you ask me,