Irlen syndrome. Any one know anything about this?

I use a coloured film overlay when I read books, and I have my kindle set up in blue shade mode with a colour tint. This helps hugely with my dyslexia.  Husband was looking for a new overlay for me and found some stuff on Irlen syndrome so I wondered if any of you knew anything about it? Positive or negative.

Parents
  • The Irlen Syndrome stuff on the web seems like a scam to me. They charge you $28 for a report that will tell you whether you can use tinted overlays and whatnot, without actually providing any of the overlays (you would have to pay more for those).

Glasses or overlays may well work for some people, but I'd stay away from websites that will sell them for an arm and a leg. You should be able to figure out on your own whether they work for you or not.

• Wait, sorry I read that wrong! They don't actually test you in person? I wouldn't trust that!

• When I did a search it came up with an American website. You can answer a bunch of questions on an online form (one of them was about autism), and, for $28, they will send you a report telling you whether you should purchase (for more money) their software which I suppose tints your computer screen to make it easier to read. I have no doubt it will tell everyone to purchase the software.

• When I did a search it came up with an American website. You can answer a bunch of questions on an online form (one of them was about autism), and, for $28, they will send you a report telling you whether you should purchase (for more money) their software which I suppose tints your computer screen to make it easier to read. I have no doubt it will tell everyone to purchase the software.

Children
  • [swear word deleted by Heather- Mod] That sounds dodgy! Like a rabbithole designed to suck you in!

When I had my screening I had to go through a pretty long test. I had to look through lots of different coloured lenses, then find a saturation of each colour to build up the filter. Then I looked at different objects, pieces of text on different backgrounds, looking at things in different lights and a lot of other things until the lenses were built up. After the test I was given a quote and no obligations.

I'm not putting any software on my computer let alone paying for it if there was no guarantee it would work!