New job problems. Help.

I started a new job last Monday, and after a very frank review with manager on Friday afternoon I'm considering quitting after only a week.

The basic theme of the review was that I'm not showing an aptitude for the work and not engaging with the clients well enough.

I will start by explaining some of my background and situation.

I, unsurprisingly have had long gaps in my employment and need money desperately.  And I cannot be choosy!   So obvious route is finding paid employment.  Any paid job!!!!!  

Other routes are trying for more benefits.  One debt advisor suggested I apply for PIP.  The next three professional  advisors ( same week)  laughed at the suggestion.  Saying that my social skills problems are minisule compared to some people they deal with.

I have and had multiple advisors giving me all types of contradictory advice.

In applying for this job, one of my employment advisors actually changed my answers.

For confidentiality reasons I will not give specific details but the job is full time at the minimum wage and involves supporting people with complex physical/mental needs.  Over the past twenty years I've been involved in doing this type of work for family and neighbors, so I am familiar with the issues and can emphasize with most autistics and their problems.

The problems are that I'm not showing enough enthusiasm and the will to get involved in specific tasks while shadowing existing workers.  I am too reserved.

And the end of week review was very very negative.

Should I quit?  Or turn up tomorrow morning and carry on ?

At the moment I'm intending to continue and apply for other jobs simultaneously.  Just doing application for work at local poundstrechter.

• For instance the constant repetition in their policies that if we see something that impacts on the care or safety of clients or staff, then,  we should speak up immediately.  But whenever I say something I get verbally told off for saying it.

You have my sympathies. Such a situation is obviously going to peeve an individual who takes things at face value and uses logic.

I once worked somewhere where the legal staff drummed into the workers what they must/must not do. If everyone did what legal said, there would not be a workable company. Eventually it became clear to me that it was all a giant game. Even legal didn't really want people following their instructions - the company and legal were just covering themselves in case anything went wrong, at which time, the staff who had been forced to sign documents acknowledging the instructions they had been given would no doubt be hung out to dry whilst the company distanced itself from the actions of "isolated individuals who failed to follow established company processes".

Lots of people left not long after.

• Hi Robert123, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and I went through something similar when I worked in the NHS.  I would see elderly patients who hadn't been visited for hours and had no access to water.  I mentioned this to a matron and this was relayed back to my supervisor who then proceeded to give me a verbal warning for telling a matron how to do her job.  I was also bullied and lined up to fail, as well as made to do procedures that I wasn't trained to do.  I was young, naive and very quiet back then, so didn't speak up, but looking back now, they did anything but what was stated in the manuals on how a department should be run.  This put me off working in the medical or care sector for life.

Saying that, it is obviously something you are good at and care about, so I wouldn't give up on it.

Care seems to be a neglected sector, so it might be worth doing some background reading on local companies and then send your CV in with a good cover letter.

When I start a new job, I take a notebook and write myself a series of notes as otherwise it's just information overload and I won't remember any of it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  The incident when the woman was being bathed, I would have done the same (and have experience with a similar situation) out of respecting the patient's decency.  However; I have come to realise others don't think like this, so I always ask questions.  "Would you like me to assist with the bathing or shall I wait outside/tend to other tasks".  This way I would rather be criticized of asking too many questions, rather than taking the wrong actions.  If anyone complains, at least I can say I asked what the right thing to do was beforehand and was only following orders.

Work can feel like treading on eggshells, but it's important to build some strategies to protect yourself from office politics and general sloppy workplace conduct.

• I am not a lawyer, but it sounds like you do have a contract of employment, even if it's not a signed, written one.  They probably will have grievance and disciplinary procedures too (if not in the handbook).  I'd suggest asking for a copy of all of those. 

'reserved' and lacking enthusiasm are just impressions by another employee.  You may have been getting the work done, but not expressing emotion about it.  Although you don't have full employment protection because you haven't been there 2 years, they still have to abide by the Equality Act in respect of your impairment.

Tom's thoughts seem very relevant, and good to hear the benefits people were of some help.  Good luck.

• Having proof is very important.  Just look at the problems faced by the Windrush generation.

In this job the only proof is a text message which only includes a time, date and address.  But no further information what this data refers to.

In past jobs I always had a formal letter on headed company paper. Giving me the essential details about job title, hours , rate of pay etc.

In this job I was given a handbook which includes a section stating that a formal letter will be sent separately from this handbook which includes all this information about terms & conditions of employment, pay hours etc.  So far I've received nothing, either by physical letter nor email.

• I was working at a huge educational institution and they didn't have me sign anything when I started. Now they are trying to hold me to a contract they never provided to me (despite the fact that I asked for a copy of it several times). Come to think of it, I have worked at several large educational institutions n different countries and I know there was at least one other in which I never signed anything when I started.

Emails and texts do carry some weight legally, as long as you can prove they are genuine.

• Sorry, Robert... this link may be more helpful...

Lone Working in the Care Sector

• So far all training has been on the job, with no practice on dummys etc.

One reason they were unhappy with me from the start was that I'm not a 'hands on person'.

They made it clear that I should just get stuck in and on with it.

First time I was being left alone in a flat with a disabled patient who needed 24h care.  I was very apprehensive and asked what do I do in case of an emergency?

My supervisor was very surprised that no-one had explained to me the alarm system for calling for help. Where it was, what to press, how to call for help.  He just assumed I knew.

Then this is definitely not good.  No responsible care employer would expect an inexperienced member of staff to work alone with a service user.  I mentioned that situation in my last job, with the new woman who was expected to accompany a service user to London alone and administer meds.  Heads rolled over that.  You leave yourself wide open, in that situation, to problems.  Supposing, for instance, a bruise is later discovered on that person?  They could have knocked themselves.  Equally, though, you could be blamed.  I really think you should contact CQC first to find out if you have grounds for a complaint.

Here's another HSE publication you might want to look at:

Lone Working in Care

• So far all training has been on the job, with no practice on dummys etc.

One reason they were unhappy with me from the start was that I'm not a 'hands on person'.

They made it clear that I should just get stuck in and on with it.

First time I was being left alone in a flat with a disabled patient who needed 24h care.  I was very apprehensive and asked what do I do in case of an emergency?

My supervisor was very surprised that no-one had explained to me the alarm system for calling for help. Where it was, what to press, how to call for help.  He just assumed I knew.

• Hi Robert,

Check this out.  There's a difference between 'mandatory' training and 'statutory' training.  Mandatory training is usually provided by employers as part of an induction package.  It doesn't sound like you've had any formal mandatory induction training yet.

Statutory training is training that is required by law.  It includes moving and handling.  Mandatory training includes it, too, which makes for a grey area.  The important point, I think - as a training provider has told me - is that you should be shown how to use the equipment properly before you actually have to use it in a real-life situation.  Has anyone actually taken you to one side for an hour, say, to show you the equipment and how it's used? And to practice using it - on a volunteer or a dummy? Or are you just being expected to learn it 'hands on' - on the job?

I'd definitely check with the HSE.  You can do it anonymously without naming your employer. Any decent care employer should be ensuring people have induction in moving and handling, emergency first aid, medication awareness, etc as a basic necessity before starting work. 

Training

• Printed rules and regulations state that two personal ( qualified & certified?) Must do it. And other rules state that if we have any doubts or reservations about the safety of what we are asked to do we must speak up.

Reality is that I, as a brand new trainee am being supervised by a 19 year with 6 months experience.  Are either of us qualified?

Personally I think what we are doing is safe.  But as a newcomer is my opinion important.  I'm just copying my colleague.  Red loop from sling goes on side hook ( both sides).  White loop goes on front hook ( both sides).  Dark blue long loop  ( and there are three colour coded loops ) goes on rear hook.  I'm just copying on one side what my colleague is doing on other side.  My 19 year boss checks my work and we go..

I operate the electronic controls ( no training) just told it's obvious, not rocket science. Four buttons, up, down, left, right.

My colleague moves the wheelchair into position, checks breaks, we apply all the straps around belly and feet and everything is fine.

But if something has gone wrong????

The company and management is safe because we are both aware of the printed regulations and the need to speak up if in doubt.

But in reality whenever I speak I end getting a tounge lashing from the manager in effect being told to 'keep your mouth shut and just do as you're told'.

What do I do???

Yes, it should always be two people.  In spite of her age and relative newness on the job, if your 'supervisor' is trained and certified to use the hoist, then that's perfectly fine and proper.  But you should still be properly trained and certified yourself, as far as I'm aware.  It's all part of any inductee's general moving and handling training.  You may want to check your employer's policies and procedures on this, but this has always been the case in any care situation I've worked in: I haven't been allowed to use equipment unless I've taken the certified training course. Even in agency work. 

Check this out.  You can contact HSE via the online form for more information, or to report any specific problems.

Moving and Handling

• Your comments are very true.  And I will give you another moral dilemma from my personal experience.

Hoisting a disabled person in and out of a wheelchair.

Printed rules and regulations state that two personal ( qualified & certified?) Must do it. And other rules state that if we have any doubts or reservations about the safety of what we are asked to do we must speak up.

Reality is that I, as a brand new trainee am being supervised by a 19 year with 6 months experience.  Are either of us qualified?

Personally I think what we are doing is safe.  But as a newcomer is my opinion important.  I'm just copying my colleague.  Red loop from sling goes on side hook ( both sides).  White loop goes on front hook ( both sides).  Dark blue long loop  ( and there are three colour coded loops ) goes on rear hook.  I'm just copying on one side what my colleague is doing on other side.  My 19 year boss checks my work and we go..

I operate the electronic controls ( no training) just told it's obvious, not rocket science. Four buttons, up, down, left, right.

My colleague moves the wheelchair into position, checks breaks, we apply all the straps around belly and feet and everything is fine.

But if something has gone wrong????

The company and management is safe because we are both aware of the printed regulations and the need to speak up if in doubt.

But in reality whenever I speak I end getting a tounge lashing from the manager in effect being told to 'keep your mouth shut and just do as you're told'.

What do I do???

• I thought only qualified nurses or practitioners qualified in prescribing could administer medication and others could prompt but by no means administer it. 

It's a crazy world we live in for sure, with love and compassion for our fellow beings low on the list of priorities in most people's lives. Health and happiness seem to be very low on the list of priorities for most people so I guess it's not surprising then that people don't treat their fellow beings with the same level of consideration. The journey to London for that young girl and the gentleman would have far reaching effects on her health and then for her to be ostracised by her colleagues shows what a crazy world we live in. 

• As for proof that I was working there.

I am not sure how helpful I am being here, anymore but... with regards to answering the rest of the Post containing what I quoted, I can only say the following...

The whole situation may be a sham, only for the reasons I began upon my own other Thread there.

BUT - With no written proof of anything? This seems highly suspicious to myself. At the very least, someone must have made you, Mr.Robert-Sir, SIGN something. When signing something, get copies of that, right there, right at that moment. INSIST upon this. Get copies and proof of everything at every opportunity. Pay no attention to "excuses" offered, just gain Hard Copy Documentation! 

I may be showing my age (40+) about this, but EMails and Texts do not carry so much weight - but you may SCREENSHOT these as they arrive, confirming Date and Time and whatnot. Hopefully someone else can give more precise advice towards what I am trying to convey, here.

Good Fortune to all here anyway, from myself.

• Well... all I can say is that in my first job, there was a service user who had no learning disabilities, but who had suffered great abuse in her life which had affected her severely.  Her symptoms and behaviours were much more like PTSD.  In my first week, the (abusive) deputy manager and his (equally abusive) wife (who was a Senior - how right is that in the same home?) told me to ignore her if she started saying things like 'So-and-so has asked me to lend them some money.  Is that alright, Tom?' because, as they said, she 'likes to wind people up and set people off against each other.'  It wasn't long before I could see through all of this.  I knew they were taking money from her, and otherwise exploiting her because of her condition.  All of this went into my report.  But they didn't prosecute because there was no 'hard' evidence.

• More anecdotes from my work.

One of the support workers warned me about a particular female client to be very careful what I say and do around her.  Because she complains to her family

And a couple of workers have been sacked as a result and it goes on their DBS.  Others have been banned from working with her or going into her flat.

I was once left alone  with her giving her a wash in the bath with the door closed.

Is this moral, legal or questionable ?

• That's good.  So, as far as they're concerned, you're off sick.  You've done the right thing.

• Thank you for your advice.

I will write an email to the head office rather than obnoxious manager of the local centre I was working at.  Her attitude towards me was from the start.  'just do as you're told and keep your mouth shut'.

As for proof that I was working there.

Just voice call asking me to agree starting date.  With promise of written confirmation.  Which I expected to a written letter on headed company paper.  It turned out to be a text message with address+ date and time.  Nothing else.

So.

No written offer of employment.

No written contract. With any terms and conditions of employment.

No mandatory photo ID badge

No payroll number

And no pay to date.

• Possibly there is a better way than just not to show up for work, because just doing that without giving an explanation can be said to reflect badly on you. It might be good for you to send an email to someone at your employer and tell them about your concerns and why you feel unable to continue working until they are addressed. Also make it clear that you will need a written contract with your duties clearly specified, and you will not do anything not on the list because you are concerned for the safety of the people you are caring for (for example using a lift when you are not properly trained). There is no decent employer anywhere who would permit you anywhere near a forklift without certification, for example, so the fact that they are expecting you to hoist human beings with a lifting device without training is absolutely unacceptable and it furthermore puts you in danger of having legal action taken against you if something goes wrong, particularly if there is no documentation (i.e. an employment contract) saying that you are actually permitted and expected to be there in the first place.

• I have not turned up for work today.  Waiting for their reaction.

I'm still worried that I have no formal written proof that I was even employed in that place.

I have sent a comprehensive email to the quality care commission outlining my misgivings about the way the place is run and the risks to clients/customers.

• How are things going, Robert?  Have you decided on a way forwards?