Seeking to find out what ASD traits I have

Hello all,

I'l looking to get myself tested on the ASD spectrum to see where I might fit there.

Is there a way that I can pay privately to accelerate the process and if so, roughly how much does that cost?

I'm not even sure that I need a formal diagnosis, but I'd like to have some discussion with someone who is an expert in diagnosing autistic traits in adults to discuss whether I'm on the right track.

The background here, to cut a long story short, is that I have several friends and family who have been telling me for years that I am "on the spectrum", and at least a couple of them are psychotherapists themselves. In particular they have suggested that I might have "high functioning Asperger".

I'm also starting to get concerned that my daughter may be similar but my ex partner won't hear of it.  I'm thinking that if I get some kind of diagnosis myself, it might help to get the concerns about my daughter taken more seriously.

I have also taken one of those online tests and came out "You might be autistic so you might want to investigate further" or words to that effect, and some of it would certainly make sense - I certainly always felt like it was hard for me to fit in and so on, and that social interactions were a learned logical skill or effort for me rather than something natural.

It would also be very interesting to find out whether my friends and family are right about this or not, but I've made it to almost 50 with a good job so I don't necessarily want to call on limited NHS resources to find out.

cheers.

Parents
  • Hi and

I’m in similar situation and also I’m a bit worried about my daughter.

I found charity Organization called Action for Asperger which charges £200 for first appointment and then if they think it is recommended £500 for another appointment after which you would get the diagnosis. Waiting time in my case 3 months. I’m still waiting for my first appointment so can’t say much but if you live somewhere near Corby (in my case 3hours drive) you may have a go.

They reply to emails very quickly.

Janusz 

• Hi and

I’m in similar situation and also I’m a bit worried about my daughter.

I found charity Organization called Action for Asperger which charges £200 for first appointment and then if they think it is recommended £500 for another appointment after which you would get the diagnosis. Waiting time in my case 3 months. I’m still waiting for my first appointment so can’t say much but if you live somewhere near Corby (in my case 3hours drive) you may have a go.

They reply to emails very quickly.

Janusz 

Children