Autism in the Family

I think we are all aware autism runs in families. I have a 34 year old Autistic son with "moderate learning disabilities", official diagnosis. He has challenging behaviour and has been in an NHS behavioural support unit for 7 years. The reason for this long stay is due to our local council not providing suitable support in the community, hopefully that will change soon. I also have a granddaughter on the Autistic spectrum, two nephews have Aspergers ,and one of my brothers has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. There are definite tendencies in other family members. I know of other families with 2 or more Autistic children, ours spans 3 generations.

Parents
  • I am the only diagnosed in our family, but I firmly believe that my maternal aunt is autistic, and also her cousin's daughter (I can never quite work out the relationship to me, there... Second cousin once removed?). 

• I am the only diagnosed in our family, but I firmly believe that my maternal aunt is autistic, and also her cousin's daughter (I can never quite work out the relationship to me, there... Second cousin once removed?). 

Children
No Data