Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me

The documentary has won a Broadcasting Press Guild Award 2018 for the Best Single Documentary:
http://www.chrispackham.co.uk/news/chris-packham-wins-a-broadcasting-press-guild-award-2018-for-the-best-single-documentary

Given the available time, I thought the programme was excellent. My only criticism relates to scheduling: I would have liked the programme on BBC1 at prime time.

Parents
  • I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and there was a lot I could relate to. The part where he said university gave him a release as it was OK to be weird. I was always the weird kid growing up, I was never bullied but being considered weird and then hitting an age where it was kind of OK to be weird was a big weight off my shoulders. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 35 but weird wasn't a nice way to feel. Especially not knowing why. Hitting my mid-teens was a big change.

Also the way he didn't live with his wife. I've been in a few very long term relationships and never been able to move in because of my ways. Maybe if I'd been diagnosed things would have been easier to explain.

It was good to see functioning ASD portrayed in a realistic, positive manner. All we've pretty much had until now is a killer accountant, naive computer hackers facing extradition and lots of negative stuff.

• I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and there was a lot I could relate to. The part where he said university gave him a release as it was OK to be weird. I was always the weird kid growing up, I was never bullied but being considered weird and then hitting an age where it was kind of OK to be weird was a big weight off my shoulders. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 35 but weird wasn't a nice way to feel. Especially not knowing why. Hitting my mid-teens was a big change.

Also the way he didn't live with his wife. I've been in a few very long term relationships and never been able to move in because of my ways. Maybe if I'd been diagnosed things would have been easier to explain.

It was good to see functioning ASD portrayed in a realistic, positive manner. All we've pretty much had until now is a killer accountant, naive computer hackers facing extradition and lots of negative stuff.

Children
No Data