Does having Asperger's mean you're classed as Disabled?

Hello

New member here -

I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago, aged 22 or 23.

I have  a question for you all.

Whilst trying to get a referral to Speech Therapy via Adult Social Care, I was told that having Asperger's is not considered a disability, but a learning difficulty.

What are your views on this?

Parents
  • My view on this is that Asperger's is a disability in the technical sense, it is also autism, and a learning difficulty. While we are generally considered above average intelligence, that's based on an NT view of what intelligence should cover and does not consider the delayed social and non-verbal communication which are just assumed to be there.I tend to think of it as the brain using the spare capacity from the delay is over developing in other areas and senses.

Random, the report from your diagnosis (assuming it is nhs) should be enough proof that you have a diagnosis for Autism. 

• My view on this is that Asperger's is a disability in the technical sense, it is also autism, and a learning difficulty. While we are generally considered above average intelligence, that's based on an NT view of what intelligence should cover and does not consider the delayed social and non-verbal communication which are just assumed to be there.I tend to think of it as the brain using the spare capacity from the delay is over developing in other areas and senses.

Random, the report from your diagnosis (assuming it is nhs) should be enough proof that you have a diagnosis for Autism. 

Children
No Data