Employer told I have asperger DISEASE!

Hello, 

I've been off work for 2 months and i recently saw occupational health. Yesterday I received a copy of the report from my initial occupational health appointment which has been sent to my manager. I was really dismayed to read that the nurse had written that I had been diagnosed with Asperger Disease. This has really annoyed me as I did try to explain to the nurse that Aspergers is a part of me and has shaped my personality so the suggestion that that part of me is diseased I find very offensive. I felt I needed to write a letter to occupational health and my manager to explain that its not a disease but my husband said I should let it go as Im wanting occ health to help me but I find it hard to see how telling my manager that I have a disease is helping me.

Would you write a letter to correct their mistake or am I over reacting? 

Parents
  • I think this inappropriate use of 'disease' and disliking 'disorder' and 'condition' is absolutely why I just prefer the all-encompassing word 'autistic'.  I don't 'have' autism, and I am not subject to a 'disorder',  and I cannot be 'conditioned'. 

I am autistic and proud of it!

• I think this inappropriate use of 'disease' and disliking 'disorder' and 'condition' is absolutely why I just prefer the all-encompassing word 'autistic'.  I don't 'have' autism, and I am not subject to a 'disorder',  and I cannot be 'conditioned'. 

I am autistic and proud of it!

Children
No Data