Employer told I have asperger DISEASE!

Hello, 

I've been off work for 2 months and i recently saw occupational health. Yesterday I received a copy of the report from my initial occupational health appointment which has been sent to my manager. I was really dismayed to read that the nurse had written that I had been diagnosed with Asperger Disease. This has really annoyed me as I did try to explain to the nurse that Aspergers is a part of me and has shaped my personality so the suggestion that that part of me is diseased I find very offensive. I felt I needed to write a letter to occupational health and my manager to explain that its not a disease but my husband said I should let it go as Im wanting occ health to help me but I find it hard to see how telling my manager that I have a disease is helping me.

Would you write a letter to correct their mistake or am I over reacting? 

Parents
  • It may only be a 'word' but I think the distinction between a 'disease' and a state of being is fundamental.

Someone who is pregnant doesn't have a disease.  Someone who is absent an arm or a leg, who is blind or deaf, does not have a disease as a result of these.  And neither does someone who is autistic have a disease.

The problem with an occupational health professional calling something a disease is that an employer automatically thinks there is some treatment, som medication, some counselling that can be done to alleviate or 'cure' it.  In my experience, an employer tends to take everything written on an occupational health report as gospel, as well as ignoring other parts which may be in one's favour.

By suggesting that there is some sort of treatment then suggests that the condition (and I have tried hard not to use disablement, condition or disorder but I can't now think of another word!) will lessen with treatment. 

I would definitely write to the occupational health service and suggest they have made a mistake as you do not have a disease.  I would also contact Access to Work (https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work)  as I think they will be far more able to give you proper help at work and be able to arrange a workplace assessment, provide funding for a support worker if necessary, and also training for your employer as well as your colleagues in what autism is and how it affects you.  I am not saying these will circumvent all the problems you may have at work but it can go a long way in helping an employer understand and giving you the support you need.

Being autistic is nothing to be ashamed of, any more than being a neurotypical is.  But the way a workplace is structured often does an autistic person no favours and as such some adjustments would probably greatly assist you.  Remember that as someone who is diagnosed with autism you should come under the Equality Act to prevent discrimination against you which should also mean making allowances for the way you can be affected in the workplace.

• In

Someone who is pregnant doesn't have a disease. 

This is exactly my thinking as a midwife Relaxed

Reply Children
No Data