Anti depressants?

I'm struggling, in truth i have been struggling for a very long time, I think most of us do. My GP has me on anti depressants and anti anxiety tablets they don't do much for me at all. 

Is there anything that does help? I think that my depression is not depression but part of my autistic spectrum thing. Assuming that it is asd not depression is there anything that can make it any better? I am not sure that I can cope for much longer.

Parents
  • Hi Song (and California)
    I bought this book via the internet: http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/books-by-tony-m/english-books/1407-exploring-depression-and-beating-the-bluesA CBT Self-Help Guide to Understanding and Coping with Depression in Asperger’s Syndrome [ASD-Level 1]

I found it good and it made a lot of sense to me. It is about the typical pitfalls that are likely to make someone with ASD1 prone to depression and how you can deal with it. 

Also I find that depression for me is linked to a grieving process of realising your life is not what you had hoped for yourself. 
    It also just can take so much time to start getting better - but for me things are starting to get better I think. 

You write: "I'm not sure I can cope much longer". This is important that you do tell people the way you feel. Do you have a therapist?

I think the MODs of this forum might have the right contact details for help when you feel very bad - maybe you can then print them and keep them close to hand? 

I hope the MODs don't mind I copy pasted the info here about what to do should you feel beyond coping:

If it’s outside your GP hours call  111  to reach the NHS 111 service:  http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/NHS-111.aspx

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful.

If you are very close to doing something to hurt yourself - call 999 now or go to your nearest A&E department. There should be someone there to support you and make sure you get ongoing support.

Thinking of you both!!!

• If ones life is great and beautiful and for some reason someone is depressed, then the tablets maybe help.

But how can the tablets help if one is unhappy because of the problems the person experience everywhere and all the time? How can the tablets solve the problems that cause one to be unhappy?

If certain things would change in my life and would be the way I want them to be, I would be extremely happy.

• Yep, I can totally identify with that. I was told they work anyway, guess what the doctor meant was that people (well, some at least although he tried to convince me that it applies to everybody) that take antidepressants just care less about the things pulling them down. But even if the pills did that it would all go bad again the moment you stop taking them.

May I ask what the things are that would make you happy? I'm not going to come up with some brilliant tips, just being interested.

• I don't know your workplace and you may be right. Guess the other problem is that people who would understand things like this aren't that obvious. The ones always shouting loudest how well they understand and support everybody forget about this the moment you ask for help...

• I also am totally into stimming jewellery (like those heavy bike chain bracelets). I also have a pressure jacket (it is expensive though, I wonder if your company has enough money to purchase it for you like they would a braille type writer for a blind person) - they could subtract it from taxes? I have Peltor Optime 1 3M earmuffs. 

If your company could buy things for you on their disability budget, you could ask for Bose noise cancelling earphones (that really would make a difference!)

• I do not think that I have got anyone at work who understands the problem and could help me with that fight.

I am on my own.

• I like the idea of the Spanish walls... and 3M earmuffs.

• Have you got someone at work who understands the problem and could help you with that fight that shouldn't even be necessary? Some people are just much better at it, and more diplomatic (than me, not saying that this is a problem for you) and they get much further with that. They manage to make the others feel like it was all their idea and they want nothing more than what you are asking for.

• It is grossly unfair; surely you would hope that there would be laws to protect us :( like oktanol says, very few NT's even like open plan. But it is really awful for people prone to sensory overload. :( And like you say, you don't have spare energy for the confrontation. :( I like the idea of the Spanish walls... and 3M earmuffs? 

• Yes, they know at work that I am on the spectrum.

They could make adjustments, but they do not want.

So, I have to fight.

I hate fightings and conflicts. I like peace.

• I've actually never heard anyone say that they are great, some people just don't mind. Not sure why they haven't turned away from open plan offices again after trying it for a while.

A friend (who has no diagnosis but does have lots of characteristics that would fit ASD quite well) got one of those folding walls (Spanish walls?) around her desk. Doesn't help with the noise but at least with the distraction from seeing people walk past all the time. She was seen as fussy asking for it, but they installed one anyway.

• That is so rough; do they know at work that you are on the spectrum? Can they make adjustments? 

Reply Children
  • I don't know your workplace and you may be right. Guess the other problem is that people who would understand things like this aren't that obvious. The ones always shouting loudest how well they understand and support everybody forget about this the moment you ask for help...

• I also am totally into stimming jewellery (like those heavy bike chain bracelets). I also have a pressure jacket (it is expensive though, I wonder if your company has enough money to purchase it for you like they would a braille type writer for a blind person) - they could subtract it from taxes? I have Peltor Optime 1 3M earmuffs. 

If your company could buy things for you on their disability budget, you could ask for Bose noise cancelling earphones (that really would make a difference!)

• I do not think that I have got anyone at work who understands the problem and could help me with that fight.

I am on my own.

• I like the idea of the Spanish walls... and 3M earmuffs.

• Have you got someone at work who understands the problem and could help you with that fight that shouldn't even be necessary? Some people are just much better at it, and more diplomatic (than me, not saying that this is a problem for you) and they get much further with that. They manage to make the others feel like it was all their idea and they want nothing more than what you are asking for.

• It is grossly unfair; surely you would hope that there would be laws to protect us :( like oktanol says, very few NT's even like open plan. But it is really awful for people prone to sensory overload. :( And like you say, you don't have spare energy for the confrontation. :( I like the idea of the Spanish walls... and 3M earmuffs? 

• Yes, they know at work that I am on the spectrum.

They could make adjustments, but they do not want.

So, I have to fight.

I hate fightings and conflicts. I like peace.