I'm a coward

I'm a coward .The question over autism spectrum disorder constantly hangs over me ,but I'm too scared to press for an assessment. Although I have autistic traits I question whether I would meet the full criteria. In fact I fit a similar thing non-verbal learning disorder better. The trouble being NVLD is scarcely recognised in this country . The local autism service doesn't cover NVLD so the fear is the rejection of an autism diagnosis will not result in other avenues being explored. This in turn would cement/strengthen the ignorant and misguided belief that everything relates back to  the mental health diagnosis. Then there is the issue that as an adult there's not much support whether you're on the spectrum or NVLD. It would be nice though to be able to say to all the ignorant f******s it was always much more than a case of being "awkward,demanding and troublesome"

[Edited by Moderator]

Parents
  • I don't know whether you have decided to take the test but it is obviously something of great concern to you-you just have to stop wasting time speculating on the possible outcome. If you had the test it would solve your to main problems the first of which is your gnawing uncertainty about the true nature of your condition, the test would deal with that-hopefully and if you had something official to refer to and show your family the second problem of support may begin to be addressed.

At the moment you are in self-imposed limbo, I fail to see how you could possibly function to your fullest capacity with all of the doubt and uncertainty weighing down your every move-the people around you would benefit too because they would get a better idea of how you feel and what they can offer in terms of support.

I know that people need to know-roughly, at least who they are dealing with, if that person is unsure themselves , it does not help anyone and their patience and willingness to be accommodatng becomes stretched if we are not prepared to put effort into helping ourselves.

You just have to bite the bullet-whatever the actual reality may be, it can't be worse than walking around in a fog of uncertainty and indecision while the clock is ticking and the more fulfilling, better informed life you could be leading is languishing unexplored.

Good Luck..

• I don't know whether you have decided to take the test but it is obviously something of great concern to you-you just have to stop wasting time speculating on the possible outcome. If you had the test it would solve your to main problems the first of which is your gnawing uncertainty about the true nature of your condition, the test would deal with that-hopefully and if you had something official to refer to and show your family the second problem of support may begin to be addressed.

At the moment you are in self-imposed limbo, I fail to see how you could possibly function to your fullest capacity with all of the doubt and uncertainty weighing down your every move-the people around you would benefit too because they would get a better idea of how you feel and what they can offer in terms of support.

I know that people need to know-roughly, at least who they are dealing with, if that person is unsure themselves , it does not help anyone and their patience and willingness to be accommodatng becomes stretched if we are not prepared to put effort into helping ourselves.

You just have to bite the bullet-whatever the actual reality may be, it can't be worse than walking around in a fog of uncertainty and indecision while the clock is ticking and the more fulfilling, better informed life you could be leading is languishing unexplored.

Good Luck..

Children
No Data