GP Help

Today I took my first steps of going to my GP appointment, and discussing my thoughts regarding possibly being on the Autistic Spectrum. I went with my mum who also gave some background information regarding childhood/young adulthood and I mentioned certain areas which made me want to get checked/assessed.

I am 21, and the GP recommended I look into services at my local 'Find it Out' centre, which is basically generalised counselling/emotional support. There is no medical training/thorough psychological training in the areas I am needing it in. Not only this, but these services are only offered between the ages of 11-18, which confuses me further as to why I have been told to go down this avenue.

I mentioned how I understood from research, that referrals are made for a diagnosis etc, to which my GP said was true, however was not always the first steps, and it is further along down the process.

I would like others opinions on this, as well as wondering if a second opinion may be the best option?

Thank you to anyone who replies

Parents
  • Firstly, well done on taking that step! It isn't easy.

My GP made the referral immediately so I'm not sure which process they are referring to. As the waiting list on the NHS can be quite long (up to two years) it would be worth a second opinion if you want a diagnosis anytime soon. There is nothing wrong with having the counselling and emotional support while you wait for an assessment date, but I wouldn't consider it an alternative to a referral. 

There is always the option to book a private assessment, but it can be very expensive. 

• Thank you, that means a lot. I had been putting off discussing this topic for a while now, and panicked a little but knew it was more important to seek help/advice.

Everyone I have spoke to/researched about has begun the process with talking to their GP, to then be referred to a psychologist, so to have a different route was a little baffling. Particularly as I was referred to a youth counselling centre, for 11-18 year olds and I am 21. Not only that, but it doesn't really help me with looking in to possibly having Autism, as the staff there are not trained in this. I can understand whilst in the process of having an assessment, to perhaps seek for emotional support, but like you say, not to have as an alternative/to begin with. 

It is a little frustrating as the wait is bad enough once having been referred, but to delay the process further leaves everything a whole lot worse. I felt that my GP visit didn't really get me anywhere, other than leaving confused and annoyed at having to go through the worry for no reason.

I did look into going private, but as you say it is very expensive and many help services surprisingly do not accept a private diagnosis.

I think I may have to look into getting a second opinion. Thanks again for your comment!

• Thank you, that means a lot. I had been putting off discussing this topic for a while now, and panicked a little but knew it was more important to seek help/advice.

Everyone I have spoke to/researched about has begun the process with talking to their GP, to then be referred to a psychologist, so to have a different route was a little baffling. Particularly as I was referred to a youth counselling centre, for 11-18 year olds and I am 21. Not only that, but it doesn't really help me with looking in to possibly having Autism, as the staff there are not trained in this. I can understand whilst in the process of having an assessment, to perhaps seek for emotional support, but like you say, not to have as an alternative/to begin with. 

It is a little frustrating as the wait is bad enough once having been referred, but to delay the process further leaves everything a whole lot worse. I felt that my GP visit didn't really get me anywhere, other than leaving confused and annoyed at having to go through the worry for no reason.

I did look into going private, but as you say it is very expensive and many help services surprisingly do not accept a private diagnosis.

I think I may have to look into getting a second opinion. Thanks again for your comment!

Children
No Data