GP Help

Today I took my first steps of going to my GP appointment, and discussing my thoughts regarding possibly being on the Autistic Spectrum. I went with my mum who also gave some background information regarding childhood/young adulthood and I mentioned certain areas which made me want to get checked/assessed.

I am 21, and the GP recommended I look into services at my local 'Find it Out' centre, which is basically generalised counselling/emotional support. There is no medical training/thorough psychological training in the areas I am needing it in. Not only this, but these services are only offered between the ages of 11-18, which confuses me further as to why I have been told to go down this avenue.

I mentioned how I understood from research, that referrals are made for a diagnosis etc, to which my GP said was true, however was not always the first steps, and it is further along down the process.

I would like others opinions on this, as well as wondering if a second opinion may be the best option?

Thank you to anyone who replies

Parents
  • I pointed out to my GP that I am likely autistic and the GP referred me immediately to a psychologist for the official assessment and diagnosis.

Before that, the GP kept sending me to counselling/emotional support. That was before the GP and I realized that I am likely autistic.

• I pointed out to my GP that I am likely autistic and the GP referred me immediately to a psychologist for the official assessment and diagnosis.

Before that, the GP kept sending me to counselling/emotional support. That was before the GP and I realized that I am likely autistic.

Children
  • I too was pointed in that direction, however this was once I had mentioned Autistic traits which I see in myself. Not only that, but the first direction I was lead to was a centre for 11-18 year olds, so as a 21 year old it doesn't really make sense.

In all honesty, although I saw an experienced GP, I felt that perhaps routes into Autism diagnosis was probably not her most familiar area. I felt a little annoyed due to feeling as though it was perhaps a wasted trip, particularly as for me this was something I found hard to discuss, to then not really get anywhere with it. I think I will seek a second opinion. 

Thanks for your comment.