I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • One of the main problems - especially so if you're undiagnosed, but also if you're diagnosed - is getting people to think that you're anything other than simply fussy, oversensitive, unfriendly, or deliberately recalcitrant.  You most likely look as 'normal' as anyone else, so why would you behave any different or be treated differently?  You have no obvious physical disabilities.  You eat and drink, and go to the toilet, and have a home, and drive to work or take the bus - just like anyone.  It's a huge gulf of understanding - or misunderstanding.  Even now, knowing me as they do, people will say 'Are you sure you're autistic?'  Like saying to a gay person 'Are you sure you're homosexual?'

• One of the main problems - especially so if you're undiagnosed, but also if you're diagnosed - is getting people to think that you're anything other than simply fussy, oversensitive, unfriendly, or deliberately recalcitrant.  You most likely look as 'normal' as anyone else, so why would you behave any different or be treated differently?  You have no obvious physical disabilities.  You eat and drink, and go to the toilet, and have a home, and drive to work or take the bus - just like anyone.  It's a huge gulf of understanding - or misunderstanding.  Even now, knowing me as they do, people will say 'Are you sure you're autistic?'  Like saying to a gay person 'Are you sure you're homosexual?'

Children
No Data