I want to understand about autistic adults difficulties which they face in workplace.

Hello everyone,

I am postgraduate student and I am working on a project to understand about

difficulties faced by autistic adults in their day to day life particularly in workplace.

By research, I came to know that autistic adults are facing a lot of problems in workplace,

but I am not clear about what exact problems they face. I want to create awareness

about their problems in offices so that they get maximum support at workplace. By doing so,

the gap between autistic adults and their colleagues may disappear.

Hopefully, everyone will start understanding them better. If anyone knows about it,

could you please help me in understanding about their problems?

Parents
  • My biggest problems are:

Noises,

Open plan office,

Too bright office,

People moving around me.

Because of these I cannot focus.

A huge problem is handshakes. I do not like handshakes. I never initiate them. They only cause me stress and anxiety.

Another problem is phones. I do not like phones. They make me extremely anxious.

I do not like small talks and gossips. If someone starts them, I quickly run away.

The job interviews is a huge problem. It is an absolutely horrible experience. Absolute nightmare!!! The best I can do is to answer Yes and No and maybe some short sentences. One of the worst questions - Tell us about yourself! - What should I tell? The job application form already contains all the information. If something is unclear, ask specific questions, not general questions.

I wish job interviews would be in writing. My life would be much easier.

• My biggest problems are:

Noises,

Open plan office,

Too bright office,

People moving around me.

Because of these I cannot focus.

A huge problem is handshakes. I do not like handshakes. I never initiate them. They only cause me stress and anxiety.

Another problem is phones. I do not like phones. They make me extremely anxious.

I do not like small talks and gossips. If someone starts them, I quickly run away.

The job interviews is a huge problem. It is an absolutely horrible experience. Absolute nightmare!!! The best I can do is to answer Yes and No and maybe some short sentences. One of the worst questions - Tell us about yourself! - What should I tell? The job application form already contains all the information. If something is unclear, ask specific questions, not general questions.

I wish job interviews would be in writing. My life would be much easier.

Children
  • Hey,

I would like to know what kind of job do you do. I mean in which sector?

It would be great if you could tell me in brief about it.

Thanks.

• Hi California, 

Thanks for sharing information about your problems with me. It was really helpful. 

I will include about your problem about handshakes in my project. I feel that people should know about it. It will help you to lessen your stress.

You gave a wonderful solution for job interviews. I wish that for autistic people, interviews are taken in writing. I will surely include your point about job interviews in my project.