Looking for advice

Hi everyone. I have recently been diagnosed with autism at the grand old age of 29. To be honest, that suddenly makes huge parts of my life make sense. The problem is I now have no idea what to do with that information, all my googling assumes I want info on children and I'm feeling lost and overwhelmed with everything. Does anyone have any advice that might help me come to terms with it? I know sticking a label on the problems I've always had doesn't change anything about who I am, but it still feels huge.

Parents
  • I think my biggest advice would be to take it slowly, rather than trying to 'do anything' with the information specifically.

Over time, you'll come to see bit by bit how it all truly affects you. It took me a good year after my diagnosis to really make sense of everything, even after endless research before my diagnosis, and it took even longer to make adjustments to my life based on all of that new knowledge. I would say it probably took 16 months or so (post-diagnosis) before I felt like I understood everything and had really discovered who I was.

Focus on your strengths, accept your limitations and allow yourself the adjustments that will benefit you.

• I think my biggest advice would be to take it slowly, rather than trying to 'do anything' with the information specifically.

Over time, you'll come to see bit by bit how it all truly affects you. It took me a good year after my diagnosis to really make sense of everything, even after endless research before my diagnosis, and it took even longer to make adjustments to my life based on all of that new knowledge. I would say it probably took 16 months or so (post-diagnosis) before I felt like I understood everything and had really discovered who I was.

Focus on your strengths, accept your limitations and allow yourself the adjustments that will benefit you.

Children
No Data