ASD and hallucinations

Ok so I’m doing some research. I have a friend with ASD who recently experienced hallucinations, suicidal thoughts and anxiety and she also self harmed after anti psychotic medication was reduced by her psychiatrist- in the midst of a family crisis! (she wasn’t on this medication for psychosis but anxiety.)

So was it extreme anxiety that led to the hallucinations? Or is it autistic psychosis? 

Shes ended up in prison due to being discharged from a psychiatric unit twice (!) and offended to get into what she felt might be a safe place and the prison regime is strict on withdrawing people from Pregabalin, so now they’re taking her off 600mg in 6 days! and off Valium too! She’s experiencing hallucinations again and is very very distressed.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or know of anyone? I’m looking into doing some training and this has become a particular area of interest and I hope to produce a booklet for local agencies. 

Thanks

Parents
  • I have ASC, specifically Asperger's, and I was referred to a psychiatrist last week to be assessed for bipolar. I have never had hallucinations, illogical thoughts etc when I have been in a manic phase but about 10 years ago I was under a lot of stress - I had stopped talking to my dad (although that is not surprising in hindsight as he was probably more autistic than I am although he was never diagnosed) and my landlord was building an extension on the back of the house I was renting while I was still living in it. I did not have any hallucinations but I did lose touch with reality and had some illogical thoughts which led to me trying to kill myself. Personally I would have said that the cause in my case was extreme stress.

• I have ASC, specifically Asperger's, and I was referred to a psychiatrist last week to be assessed for bipolar. I have never had hallucinations, illogical thoughts etc when I have been in a manic phase but about 10 years ago I was under a lot of stress - I had stopped talking to my dad (although that is not surprising in hindsight as he was probably more autistic than I am although he was never diagnosed) and my landlord was building an extension on the back of the house I was renting while I was still living in it. I did not have any hallucinations but I did lose touch with reality and had some illogical thoughts which led to me trying to kill myself. Personally I would have said that the cause in my case was extreme stress.

Children