Diagnosis?

Hi,

I'm a 21 year old girl, currently studying at university. For some time, I've thought that I may have autism, and my mum agrees that I've shown autistic tendencies since early childhood. Some of my friends also agree that I display behaviours associated with autism - and my best friend, who was diagnosed with Aspergers as a child, told me that I am exactly like him. However, I've never had a diagnosis, because as a child my mum apparently decided I was fine as I was and did not need any support. I was wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and if people had found a diagnosis to be useful to them, or if it is simply a label which is a pain to acquire and not much use afterwards.

Parents
  • Hi.  I’m 37 and do display a lot of the behavioural characteristics associated with Aspergers.  I have debated the same issues you have described.  

I emailed the people involved with the assessment and they said:

“I can understand that it can be quite daunting to ask for an assessment and go through the assessment process. It might be helpful to talk it through with your GP. Some people say that being given a diagnosis has been helpful as it gives them an explanation to why they have certain problem through-out their lives.”

If I was as switched on at your age I would go for the assessment. Yes it is a label but you can’t put a price on peace of mind. 

My appointment to get the ball rolling with the GP is in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck.

• Hi.  I’m 37 and do display a lot of the behavioural characteristics associated with Aspergers.  I have debated the same issues you have described.  

I emailed the people involved with the assessment and they said:

“I can understand that it can be quite daunting to ask for an assessment and go through the assessment process. It might be helpful to talk it through with your GP. Some people say that being given a diagnosis has been helpful as it gives them an explanation to why they have certain problem through-out their lives.”

If I was as switched on at your age I would go for the assessment. Yes it is a label but you can’t put a price on peace of mind. 

My appointment to get the ball rolling with the GP is in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck.

Children
No Data