Diagnosis?

Hi,

I'm a 21 year old girl, currently studying at university. For some time, I've thought that I may have autism, and my mum agrees that I've shown autistic tendencies since early childhood. Some of my friends also agree that I display behaviours associated with autism - and my best friend, who was diagnosed with Aspergers as a child, told me that I am exactly like him. However, I've never had a diagnosis, because as a child my mum apparently decided I was fine as I was and did not need any support. I was wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and if people had found a diagnosis to be useful to them, or if it is simply a label which is a pain to acquire and not much use afterwards.

Parents
  • Well, I've got a good few years on you (47 year old woman) and I was only diagnosed last year with Aspergers. Personally, I have found the diagnosis very useful. It is easier to come up with good, workable strategies for handling your difficulties if you know where they are coming from, for a start. It also allows you to make sense of why you are how you are.

I have managed to lead a pretty successful life (freelance programmer ... yeah I am a walking stereotype, Aspie geek chick) but I do think that if I had had the diagnosis at your age, I would have been able to play to my strengths even more. I would probably also have wasted less time on things that were never going to work, or make me happy.

Knowledge is power, as they say, and I think entering the next phase of your life armed with a far greater understanding of yourself can only be a good thing. That's my two pence worth anyway!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide

• Well, I've got a good few years on you (47 year old woman) and I was only diagnosed last year with Aspergers. Personally, I have found the diagnosis very useful. It is easier to come up with good, workable strategies for handling your difficulties if you know where they are coming from, for a start. It also allows you to make sense of why you are how you are.

I have managed to lead a pretty successful life (freelance programmer ... yeah I am a walking stereotype, Aspie geek chick) but I do think that if I had had the diagnosis at your age, I would have been able to play to my strengths even more. I would probably also have wasted less time on things that were never going to work, or make me happy.

Knowledge is power, as they say, and I think entering the next phase of your life armed with a far greater understanding of yourself can only be a good thing. That's my two pence worth anyway!!

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Children
No Data