Autism and clothing

Hello all,

I'm a fashion student studying in Wales and I hoped to make clothing that would benefit school aged children with autism. I wanted to know what are the things you look for in particular with clothes? Are there sensory toys that help? Are there particular colours that are favoured? I also wanted to know the things to avoid with clothing. I'm making these clothes with the goal of that they'll be easy to put on/off, won't over stimulate and hoped to make them so they're calming to wear/help with sensory issues.

Many thanks,

Anna

Parents Reply
  • I feel hemmed in with tight fitting clothes, thin legged trousers a no no,

I don't like tight fitting clothes, I'd never wear skinny jeans or anything like that, but I'm a muscular/toned build so they wouldn't fit well anyway. However I do like clothes to be fitted/tailored, I really hate baggy, flappy clothes as much as I hate tight, rubbing clothes. A fitted shirt is much better than a lose and baggy one for me, the same with T-shits, polos, even jeans etc.

I used to find that big T-shirts especially (I'm an XL or XXL, but can even be an XXXL) were always especially baggy around the stomach/waist, they expected bigger people to be fat, rather than just muscular. I've since found that most skate and snowboarder brands tend to be a good fit, as to more premium brands, they tend to be tailored rather than just sacks.

Children