Assessment tomorrow

Hello

I have an appointment with the psychiatrist tomorrow for what I hope will be an aspergers assessment. Feeling very nervous about it as i have no idea what is going to happen or how long it's going to take.  Been worrying a lot in the lead up to this appointment. What if I'm completely wrong about this and there's nothing wrong other than me not being a very successful human. Feeling anxious as well that I will not be able to present why I feel I have aspergers properly and I will waste the opportunity. Will the assessment be done in one appointment? 

Just wanted to get these thoughts out there.

Parents
  • Hi,

I have not been formally diagnosed yet the general consensus among the few people I have mentioned it to is that yes indeed, I am Autistic even though I never suspected it for a second before I took the online tests for Autism and Aspergers (43/50 and 42/50, respectively, I can't remember the exact figure but I scored very highlyin the ADHD test as well-high 30's, Ithink )

-I had always thought that I was just a screw-up who was just uniquely stupid and am afraid that I may have seized upon the idea that I am on the spectrum as an excuse for my failure as a human being in life.So I feel exactly like you do, if I am deemed Neurotypical-just a malformed, self-sabotaging example of I do not know what I will do, it will be devastating and the answers I have sought all of my life will go ith me to the grave.

Judging myself has always beeen problematic, for reasons I need not go into in any depth here, I seem to have started out with an extremely negative view of myself and had this re-inforced on a daily basis by a sociopathic (to put it nicely) fathe, I have carried on from where the *** left off and it is hard to find peace of mind because there is a constant stream of vitriolic abuse swirling around in my head-all originating and directed at myself.

If I am not on the spectrum, my life-long self-image will be vindicated. This is frightening.

However, I had an appointment with a doctor in my local surgery who is experienced in this kind of condition and he told me that I had several "highly autistic traits".and would expedite my diagnosis-still waiting. My eldest daughter was a support worker for an Autistic child and knows several ASD people, when I mentioned to her that I might be Autistic she replied that she "kinda knew" (!) Both my daughters have ADHD,Dyspraxia, Dyslexia to varying degrees but still managed to get Firsts from University and as I do not have even a single Brownie point to my name, I had thought that their conditions  were merely unhappy accidents which developed from an unfavourable combination of genes from their mother and I. I was so pleased that they did not seem to have inherited all of the "bad stuff" from me and that their llives are not a mess like miine.

A former colleague of mine with whom i still keep in touch occasionally told me that there was "no such thing as Autism" and that I was just "weird"-he meant no harm but it planted yet more seeds of insecurity in my mind which i have not been able to deispel. I will not totally accept that I am on the spectrum until it is made official.

I hope it is true-as I am sure you can imagine.

By now you will have had your diagnosis, I hope you got the answers you need.-wish me luck!

• Hi,

I have not been formally diagnosed yet the general consensus among the few people I have mentioned it to is that yes indeed, I am Autistic even though I never suspected it for a second before I took the online tests for Autism and Aspergers (43/50 and 42/50, respectively, I can't remember the exact figure but I scored very highlyin the ADHD test as well-high 30's, Ithink )

-I had always thought that I was just a screw-up who was just uniquely stupid and am afraid that I may have seized upon the idea that I am on the spectrum as an excuse for my failure as a human being in life.So I feel exactly like you do, if I am deemed Neurotypical-just a malformed, self-sabotaging example of I do not know what I will do, it will be devastating and the answers I have sought all of my life will go ith me to the grave.

Judging myself has always beeen problematic, for reasons I need not go into in any depth here, I seem to have started out with an extremely negative view of myself and had this re-inforced on a daily basis by a sociopathic (to put it nicely) fathe, I have carried on from where the *** left off and it is hard to find peace of mind because there is a constant stream of vitriolic abuse swirling around in my head-all originating and directed at myself.

If I am not on the spectrum, my life-long self-image will be vindicated. This is frightening.

However, I had an appointment with a doctor in my local surgery who is experienced in this kind of condition and he told me that I had several "highly autistic traits".and would expedite my diagnosis-still waiting. My eldest daughter was a support worker for an Autistic child and knows several ASD people, when I mentioned to her that I might be Autistic she replied that she "kinda knew" (!) Both my daughters have ADHD,Dyspraxia, Dyslexia to varying degrees but still managed to get Firsts from University and as I do not have even a single Brownie point to my name, I had thought that their conditions  were merely unhappy accidents which developed from an unfavourable combination of genes from their mother and I. I was so pleased that they did not seem to have inherited all of the "bad stuff" from me and that their llives are not a mess like miine.

A former colleague of mine with whom i still keep in touch occasionally told me that there was "no such thing as Autism" and that I was just "weird"-he meant no harm but it planted yet more seeds of insecurity in my mind which i have not been able to deispel. I will not totally accept that I am on the spectrum until it is made official.

I hope it is true-as I am sure you can imagine.

By now you will have had your diagnosis, I hope you got the answers you need.-wish me luck!

Children
No Data