Changes to PIP and a full review

I thought those of you who claim or have attempted to claim PIP might want to know that the government has lost a court appeal about PIP. It doesn't mean you will get it if you didn't or that you will get more if you already get some PIP but it does mean a full review with more weighting to mental health issues.

www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-42862904

Parents
  • I notice from this week's Private Eye that the Information Commissioners Office (ICO, in charge of freedom of information requests) has also ruled against the DWP recently.  The DWP was trying to prevent information about the quality of assessments, level of complaints etc. from being released publicly.  The DWP initially tried to claim that it didn't even hold the information, and after admitting that this was false, subsequently tried to censor the information on grounds of potential "reputational damage" to Atos, Capita and the DWP itself.  The ICO have now ruled that the information should be released, though the DWP is considering whether to appeal the decision.  The case was brought by John Slater, a disability rights campaigner.

I can't remember the details, but there also is some kind of cross-bench review happening in Parliament into the PIP assessment debacle going on at the moment.  Already, both companies have been forced to admit their failings at even meeting the DWP's own targets.  At their worst, up to 60% of Capita assessments, and 30% of Atos assessments were judged to be of an "unacceptable" standard, and now around 6% for each (the target is 3%.)  The companies also admitted that assessments are not carried out by staff with sufficient knowledge of the disabilities that they are assessing, even in the most complex cases.

• I notice from this week's Private Eye that the Information Commissioners Office (ICO, in charge of freedom of information requests) has also ruled against the DWP recently.  The DWP was trying to prevent information about the quality of assessments, level of complaints etc. from being released publicly.  The DWP initially tried to claim that it didn't even hold the information, and after admitting that this was false, subsequently tried to censor the information on grounds of potential "reputational damage" to Atos, Capita and the DWP itself.  The ICO have now ruled that the information should be released, though the DWP is considering whether to appeal the decision.  The case was brought by John Slater, a disability rights campaigner.

I can't remember the details, but there also is some kind of cross-bench review happening in Parliament into the PIP assessment debacle going on at the moment.  Already, both companies have been forced to admit their failings at even meeting the DWP's own targets.  At their worst, up to 60% of Capita assessments, and 30% of Atos assessments were judged to be of an "unacceptable" standard, and now around 6% for each (the target is 3%.)  The companies also admitted that assessments are not carried out by staff with sufficient knowledge of the disabilities that they are assessing, even in the most complex cases.

Children
  • This is good news. I know that when I had my assessment for ESA (employment support allowance), I lacked the capacity to answer questions at that time and certainly without support. I accept, as my support worker pointed out, that they are probably unaware (most of them) of the mental capacity act. However, that still doesn't make it right, so thank god for these people who give their time to disability rights. This is certainly what I hope to get involved with as soon as I feel able. 

My second pip assessment was at my house and I was certainly more prepared for it this time, but the assessor admitted that she knew little about autism. It's very good news to hear that changes are afoot.