An autistic moment ?

I posted on a Facebook group to do with genealogy and dna. I got a reply. In the interest of getting views as to that reply I posted the comments I and the other person had made on a genealogy dna forum I go on. I of course omitted the other person's name.
I have been dragged through the coals for doing so by that person and accused of being rude. All i did was to try and find out what other people thought.

I am confused. I meant no harm.

Someone said about privacy.  It was posted on a group so viewable to other people anyway. If she had really wanted only me to know surely she could have private messaged me on facebook with a stipulation not to repeat our conversation. I would, of course, have obliged. As it is if I had posted her name on the forum I would have agreed I violated privacy ,but I didn't .

• I did say "to my mind" and "a bit like" not that it was plagiarism.

• In no way could it be considered plagiarism which is defined as "

Plagiarism

Plagiarism is presenting someone else’s work or ideas as your own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement.

"
    In no way was I suggesting the other person's ideas were mine and I explicitly said My comment: bla bla bla  .  Other person's comment: bla bla bla.   If I had been revealing intimate personal details then fair enough , drag me over the coals , but this was about a technical point re genealogy and dna. Nothing bad was going to happen to the other person in my mentioning their comments especially as I had not given their name or the name of the facebook  group.
    I just think the person had taken a dislike to me and needed something to attach that dislike to , however ridiculous it might be.
  • I think it's worse, if only slightly, if it's a closed group, because there is an expectation of privacy on a closed group which there isn't on an open group. I think now that the person may have got upset because they weren't acknowledged as the source of the comment - see my reply to firemonkey. We also don't know what the other person's beliefs and values are or even what sort of day they were having. The other person could even be on the spectrum themselves.

• I wondered. That maybe why the other person accused you of being rude. To my mind it's a bit like plagiarism even if plagiarism normally comes up these days in the context of cheating in university assignments. Perhaps if you had asked the other person if you could quote them and acknowledge them as the source of the comment they wouldn't have been upset. See also my reply to BlueRay if I ever get round to it.

• Verbatim- I didn't see a problem with that as no sensitive,personal details were being revealed.

• Sorry if I am asking too many questions but did you post the other person's reply verbatim i.e. word for word or just the gist / main point(s)?

• Why is it worse because it's a closed group? Sorry, I don't understand. I don't understand why the person got upset either, if the comments could not be identified as coming from them? I'm confused! 

• I could see their point if I had revealed details about them or the group. I made a point of doing neither.  All I was doing was seeking feedback from an alternative source.  At the end of the day it's a genealogy group focussing on dna not a forum where people are revealing intimate private details about their mental health etc.

• If it was a closed group then I think the other person has a point although I still think they have slightly over-reacted although not as much as if it had been an open group.

• It was a closed group but I neither revealed the name of the group or the name of the person.

• Was it a closed or open group?

I assume from what you have said that it was an open group.

Personally I think if it was an open group that what you did was ok and the other person has over-reacted but I have ASD/Asperger's so I may be biased.