Two minutes to midnight

Parents
  • I don't think it will happen, the whole doomsday clock is just a political tool, nothing more than a joke really.

Still, there are two "assets" that will be inherently valuable in an apocalypse should one happen, the skills to survive and the will to kill other people. You'll need to be able to at the very least hunt and forage for food and will almost certainly have to kill other people to keep what's yours, and perhaps even take what's theirs to survive and protect your family. I know I can survive on my own. I've hunted, gutted and cooked rabbits, pigeons and pheasants before and I have an air rifle and crossbow (which it's illegal to hunt with, but then if civilisation has collapsed law won't really matter), I know what plants in the wild I can and can't eat, I have reasonable medical knowledge etc. What I don't know is if I'm capable of killing to protect friends and family. I suspect I probably am, just because I suspect that we all are when push comes to shove, it wouldn't be pleasant, but for most of human history most people have been capable of killing and I very much doubt we're deep down, in an us or them situation, any different.

• I can't see the actual act of taking a human life to protect others as being particularly difficult in that sort of extreme situation - I certainly don't think the morality of it would keep me awake at night. What I don't think I could cope with is the gross-factor, it's bound to be messy and I don't think I could cope with that. Yeuch!!  

• (By complete coincidence, I am replying to the same person twice within one hour. Bah...)

...Greetings from myself again to all who may read. I am glad that someone else adresses *that* particular Topic before myself.

I did want to say that, there are very many and a-plenty, of methods towards incapacitating a person without actually finishing them off.

...Yet in a "Survival Situation", I myself would never ever KILL anything that I later did not intend to EAT. (Eating, no matter what the thing is...)

...Make of that what you will...!

• Loving the sardonic wit. Joy

• I've bored people unconscious, according to my (then) teenage children. It wasn't in self defence. I'm not even sorry, I'll probably do it again. I'm probably doing it right now!  

Reply Children