Two minutes to midnight

Parents
  • Greetings. "Doomsday" seems to occur quite often, and some of us do take it quite seriously, only because it does influence the behaviour of other people. I would like to be out of the city, beside the Ocean, at the very least...

• Comments thus far would appear to be fatalistic, and I agree that's the right response if things kick off and the big three launch salvos of megaton-class weapons...

But what if there is a more limited exchange, such as NK hitting London with a single 150kt class device?

Assuming an air-burst there'd be very little fall-out, and the rest of the UK would be fine... except that the EMP from the blast would probably have fused anything with a semiconductor that wasn't sealed inside a metal box... 

So most of the population would be alive, but lacking electricity. 

How would you cope?

• In that situation we'd have a complete collapse of the economy and probably society. I suspect I'd cope badly, but I have the resources and skills to survive in the medium term. I'm physically fit, I can hunt, the countryside starts less than quarter of a mile away and I could get enough food. Water may be an issue but there's a river not that far, I could could improvise basic filters, I have enough water purification tablets to purify about 2,000 litres of water, there's plenty of woodland nearby to be felled for fuel to boil water, cook and provide warmth etc and I have a couple of axes. 

I think I'd survive, it would be rough, tough and probably quite grim, but I think I'd make it and make sure my family did as well.

• In that situation we'd have a complete collapse of the economy and probably society. I suspect I'd cope badly, but I have the resources and skills to survive in the medium term. I'm physically fit, I can hunt, the countryside starts less than quarter of a mile away and I could get enough food. Water may be an issue but there's a river not that far, I could could improvise basic filters, I have enough water purification tablets to purify about 2,000 litres of water, there's plenty of woodland nearby to be felled for fuel to boil water, cook and provide warmth etc and I have a couple of axes. 

I think I'd survive, it would be rough, tough and probably quite grim, but I think I'd make it and make sure my family did as well.

Children
No Data