(HFA) Asperger's doesn't exist in rural areas?

Since my recent Asperger's diagnosis I've been trying to learn as much about it / myself as possible but I just keep coming across the same introductory information on the subject again and again across the internet and in every booklet and leaflet available. I just want to speak to someone about it, to question a little deeper than the same regurgitated information and TO FIND OUT WHERE I GO FROM HERE!

I've called several of the helplines asking for information (At least the NAS one replied, unfortunately the information pack was just another repeat of the exact same information.) but I'm just told to wait for a call back which never comes - unless it's normal to wait weeks for said call back? 

There are absolutely no services relating to (older) adult Asperger's anywhere near where I live! This is crazy considering there ARE in fact services for children and younger adults (up to aged 25) or for those requiring services such as supported accommodation. 

If I was diagnosed with just about anything else I would receive a prescription or health advice or referral to appropriate services or, at the very least, an Elastoplast!! Is it normal to be simply dropped into a void like this? Is a secret element of Asperger's that it only affects people living in cities? (Because I don't remember reading THAT anywhere!) This online community is the most help I've found and although I'm so grateful to have found it (on my own, by accident) it's not the place for obtaining the type of personalised information I need most. Everyone else seems to have access to courses and groups and something called PIP and, well, just support to understand what comes after diagnosis. Since finding this online community I've actually felt a lot better, more comfortable, with my diagnosis as I'm seeing that there are lots of people out there like me after all (which is a huge relief) but I seem to be the only one living in the entire North of Scotland!?!? Doubtful as that seems, it's the only rational explanation for the complete lack of services. 

I don't regret for a minute that I have this diagnosis, it explains everything, but the advice to "Get a Diagnosis" as it will "allow you to access the services / support / information available to help" definitely doesn't seem to apply if that diagnosis turns out to be HFA / Asperger's.       

Parents
  • Oh thank God - I thought it was just me!

I was diagnosed at 37 years old, last year. And, it feels like I was thrown to the wolves since! It sorta felt like, "Oh congratulations - you're autistic... now off you pop and deal with it."

The diagnostic Psychiatrist even finished the session with, "Now, what you need to do is go find yourself a nice Asperger's girl." She had no idea just how many shades of offensive and unhelpful that really was.

I was referred to a few counselling services - but I've quit them all as they're wholly inadequate. One Counsellor just kept asking me how I felt as she did her knitting. Another kept referring to my "learning disability".

You're given this life-changing news and then not helped to assimilate it, or to seek healthy ways to address some of the newly-explained challenges in your life. What limited resources are available to the newly-yet-late-diagnosed adult are wholly inadequate - whereby they, from what I can understand and have so far experienced, are delivered by Neurotypicals solely trying to teach you how to fit the Neurotypical model! They have little true understanding of Neurodivergent perspectives, and each time I've asked how their particular service has been specifically adapted to accommodate Neurodivergent cognition, it turns out that hasn't even been a consideration!

For me, some sort of Autistic mentoring scheme would've been immensely helpful - with some sort of late-diagnosed adult who had already been through the process, endured the unique challenges, and had practical insight and advice as to how best to adapt your (thus-far compromised) life to better accommodate your new-found diagnosis towards self-actualisation. So, why is it that I keep getting Neurotypicals trying to graft their Neurotypical mindsets onto me?!

Hell, there wasn't even a reading-list provided when I was diagnosed. I too have found the majority of the literature to be unhelpful, and at times, overly simplistic / patronising. You just keep reading dumb advice like "make sure you put on deodorant to make yourself more likeable" or pseudo-practical such as, "there is a 'guaranteed interview scheme' for those who declare themselves as autistic" (something which I strongly suspect was devised by Neurotypicals).

Now, a year into my Asperger's life, I'm a little wiser; but on the whole, I still feel like I'm floundering without any practical supports or means to turn things around. Now, I at least know why I don't work in this world. The problem simply remains that I have no idea on how to fix that.

Reply Children