(HFA) Asperger's doesn't exist in rural areas?

Since my recent Asperger's diagnosis I've been trying to learn as much about it / myself as possible but I just keep coming across the same introductory information on the subject again and again across the internet and in every booklet and leaflet available. I just want to speak to someone about it, to question a little deeper than the same regurgitated information and TO FIND OUT WHERE I GO FROM HERE!

I've called several of the helplines asking for information (At least the NAS one replied, unfortunately the information pack was just another repeat of the exact same information.) but I'm just told to wait for a call back which never comes - unless it's normal to wait weeks for said call back? 

There are absolutely no services relating to (older) adult Asperger's anywhere near where I live! This is crazy considering there ARE in fact services for children and younger adults (up to aged 25) or for those requiring services such as supported accommodation. 

If I was diagnosed with just about anything else I would receive a prescription or health advice or referral to appropriate services or, at the very least, an Elastoplast!! Is it normal to be simply dropped into a void like this? Is a secret element of Asperger's that it only affects people living in cities? (Because I don't remember reading THAT anywhere!) This online community is the most help I've found and although I'm so grateful to have found it (on my own, by accident) it's not the place for obtaining the type of personalised information I need most. Everyone else seems to have access to courses and groups and something called PIP and, well, just support to understand what comes after diagnosis. Since finding this online community I've actually felt a lot better, more comfortable, with my diagnosis as I'm seeing that there are lots of people out there like me after all (which is a huge relief) but I seem to be the only one living in the entire North of Scotland!?!? Doubtful as that seems, it's the only rational explanation for the complete lack of services. 

I don't regret for a minute that I have this diagnosis, it explains everything, but the advice to "Get a Diagnosis" as it will "allow you to access the services / support / information available to help" definitely doesn't seem to apply if that diagnosis turns out to be HFA / Asperger's.       

Parents
  • The question I ask is exactly what services should be provided (by the taxpayer) for adults? Most support which does exist for adults (and home educated children) comes from the private and voluntary sector.

• There aren't private or voluntary sector adult Asperger's services in my area either, I've looked!

I don't think the types of services I'm looking for would necessarily be provided 'by the taxpayer' as I'm mainly (at the moment) looking for information and perhaps access to courses that might help to further my understanding of Asperger's / myself. I imagine there must surely be CPD courses available to those working in social and healthcare services in my area, for instance, and would like to find out more about those.    

• There aren't private or voluntary sector adult Asperger's services in my area either, I've looked!

I don't think the types of services I'm looking for would necessarily be provided 'by the taxpayer' as I'm mainly (at the moment) looking for information and perhaps access to courses that might help to further my understanding of Asperger's / myself. I imagine there must surely be CPD courses available to those working in social and healthcare services in my area, for instance, and would like to find out more about those.    

Children

• I don't think the types of services I'm looking for would necessarily be provided 'by the taxpayer' as I'm mainly (at the moment) looking for information and perhaps access to courses that might help to further my understanding of Asperger's / myself.

There is a book called, 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' by, Tony Attwood, costing just short of £20, when I brought it new a couple of years ago. It is an amazingly good book and I recommend it with very high regard.