A reason to be sceptical of psychiatry and psychiatrists

Just been looking through my psych correspondence. There's a copy of a letter from my then care co coordinator to my pdoc where she mentions to him I've spoken several times about my balance and difficulty with practical tasks . She then goes on to say I know that dyspraxia is quite hard to diagnose(something I never said). That was back in March 2008. Well I got an additional appointment on the back of that where the pdoc asked a couple of irrelevant questions and then rather huffily dismissed the subject. The subject has never been raised again by a professional although I occasionally drop the words dyspraxic and dyspraxia into the conversation. It seems to me completely irresponsible and bad clinical practice that a pdoc would dismiss something as a possibility after a few questions that really had no bearing on the matter at hand. Even if they had been relevant I doubt a 5 minute conversation would have been enough to arrive at a definitive yes or no as to the possibility of dyspraxia. It's crap like that that helps people to be sceptical about psychiatry and the intelligence of psychiatrists.

Psychiatrists tend to be dismissive if you have the intelligence and insight to have noticed things they haven't picked up on. Then there's the fact that if you have a psych diagnosis everything is seen through the lens of that diagnosis. The trouble is psychiatry in its ignorance fails to take a holistic approach. Couple that with the fact that a psychiatrist may not be the sharpest tool in the box and you have a recipe for bad treatment.

Parents
  • I'm now seeing a psychiatrist that seems to explain everything from a point of view of autism... 

She gave me an important insight today: 'if she would be having psychological issues, she would be in any case unfit to judge her own state of mind, let alone prescribe her own medication'... 

It seems that those frogpills I'm taking now would provide a kind of sunglasses for the brain... Less input would come through, easier for the poor brain to handle... It frightened me, would I still be able to drive a car? That seems to be fine... I drove my wife's car for 150km today. Visited the Psychiatrist, bought a piece of furniture in IKEA (proof of concept), visited my mom in the retirement home, went foodshopping. 

• A small negative point, that could have ended very negative... I had the trunk full of photo's for my mom... Also a safe (little model) with the keys on it, with a wallet with 150 Euro's in it... (the loot from my last visit to my mom's house, that I would now faithfully bring back (and managed...). Also my toolbelt... Somehow I pressed the remote button to open the trunk... For more than half an hour the trunk stayed open in the street while I was up talking to the psychiatrist. Nothing was missing from my car... The toolbelt, the little safe, the foto's, everything still there. I guess a possible thief would think of this as 'too good to be true, the owner is probably literaly watching this car right now...) But I was double guessing the damn medication at that point...

It happens to the best of us... but after it happens, they're not the absolute best anymore :()

• A small negative point, that could have ended very negative... I had the trunk full of photo's for my mom... Also a safe (little model) with the keys on it, with a wallet with 150 Euro's in it... (the loot from my last visit to my mom's house, that I would now faithfully bring back (and managed...). Also my toolbelt... Somehow I pressed the remote button to open the trunk... For more than half an hour the trunk stayed open in the street while I was up talking to the psychiatrist. Nothing was missing from my car... The toolbelt, the little safe, the foto's, everything still there. I guess a possible thief would think of this as 'too good to be true, the owner is probably literaly watching this car right now...) But I was double guessing the damn medication at that point...

It happens to the best of us... but after it happens, they're not the absolute best anymore :()

Children
No Data