Bit of a ramble following another shutdown...

Yet again I have had another shutdown at work and have been sent home.

I was off work before Christmas due to the shutdowns and started to feel better after a few weeks.  I have only been back at work for just over 3 days and I have had another one.

As a result, I am now worrying about my security in my job and the prospect of finding another job in a similar role.  Since my shutdowns have become worse, the director of my department no longer speaks to me and I have yet to see the follow-up from occupational health.  My boss appears to be supportive, but I am aware I am bringing little value to the company at the moment.

My confidence is currently really low and I am frustrated I can't manage things better.  There seems to be no help and support as I am considered to be very HF and so don't qualify for adjustments, support, guidance etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and whether you manage to get the help and support you need?

I am worried about my employment as I have a hefty mortgage to pay with no financial support from family etc.  I can't afford to lose my job as I have been down this route before and ended up being homeless.

Sorry for ramblings and lack of cohesion, my anxiety is very high and I still haven't recovered properly.

Parents
  • Hi,

A lot on this thread resonates with me and first time I have heard about autistic shutdown. I have been off work before christmas too, and having problems with work, fearing I will lose my job. Work appear to be very supportive, but I get the feeling this is just a thin veil. I would be interested to hear how you experience your shutdown at work. I have looked for further information on the internet, and can relate a lot to what they describe, so am wondering if autistic shutdown is playing a role with me. I am a 50+ year old male diagnosed with Asperger.

I am reaching out for support, with a social worker, and a psychologist; the help I have tried appears very good on the surface, but again feels like it is thinly veil, almost ghost like. I don't have a mortgage, but have housing problems, my landlord wants me to move out as they want to significantly increase rent. Problem is my rent is low, so I have no options locally, and moving I am waiting to see a care co-ordinator, but don't know  if she will be able to do anything.

I should have access to a mental health nurse and a mental health support worker, I did have access to a mental health nurse when I was was with the diagnostic team and she was an immense help. I struggle with anxiety & depression, I have got increasingly angry about things at work. comments at work have been worrying "is work the best place for you ?" from a senior manager, "when you're at work should keep your personal problems outside work hours" from my line manager; "you don't have any problems communicating" 

Random

• Hi,

A lot on this thread resonates with me and first time I have heard about autistic shutdown. I have been off work before christmas too, and having problems with work, fearing I will lose my job. Work appear to be very supportive, but I get the feeling this is just a thin veil. I would be interested to hear how you experience your shutdown at work. I have looked for further information on the internet, and can relate a lot to what they describe, so am wondering if autistic shutdown is playing a role with me. I am a 50+ year old male diagnosed with Asperger.

I am reaching out for support, with a social worker, and a psychologist; the help I have tried appears very good on the surface, but again feels like it is thinly veil, almost ghost like. I don't have a mortgage, but have housing problems, my landlord wants me to move out as they want to significantly increase rent. Problem is my rent is low, so I have no options locally, and moving I am waiting to see a care co-ordinator, but don't know  if she will be able to do anything.

I should have access to a mental health nurse and a mental health support worker, I did have access to a mental health nurse when I was was with the diagnostic team and she was an immense help. I struggle with anxiety & depression, I have got increasingly angry about things at work. comments at work have been worrying "is work the best place for you ?" from a senior manager, "when you're at work should keep your personal problems outside work hours" from my line manager; "you don't have any problems communicating" 

Random

Children

• I would be interested to hear how you experience your shutdown at work. I have looked for further information on the internet, and can relate a lot to what they describe, so am wondering if autistic shutdown is playing a role with me. I am a 50+ year old male diagnosed with Asperger.

Consider also perhaps the following information about experiencing shutdowns, via this link:

https://everydayaspie.wordpress.com/2017/02/05/574/

I find it a very befitting description indeed ~ although I have learnt to feel rather than to think thoughts, and do not as such do inner dialogue any more, unless it is conducive to do so ~ such as with writing.